[SOLVED] Max Volume App or Hardware- Adjust max sound output

TheFabled

Commendable
May 12, 2021
Ok. So here is the thing. I spend quite some time playing computer games, and have done so for a very very long time. But in about the last two years or so, i started to hear a ringing noise in my ears, which did indeed make me turn down the volume on basically everything i do. It has gotten to a point, that just to be safe, i put master volume in some games at 25%.

But. This is not really the best solution. Because this means that in quiet areas, i can't hear anything, and in really huge battles, the sound can still be really loud.
So what i need to do, is either to buy some hardware that can sort of suppress sound so that it never goes above a certain threshold, or i can maybe find an app that can do this real time in windows.

I would like to be able to keep the sound loud in my games, so that i can hear the small things like footsteps and such when it's needed, but also not go deaf when all hell breaks loose.
Anyone have any bright ideas on what i should do?

Everything that can help with this is of great help.

Solution
Thanks for your replies guys. That reddit post is something I'm going to look into for sure.
Yes I'm on Windows 10.

The only thing I'm trying to do, is to just be able to have full volume in anything. But then have something lower the audio before it reaches my ears, just a simple limiter if you will. That no sound reaching my ears ever exceed 85db for example. I don't really mind if huge battles are lowered in sound, as it doesn't matter, because it's mostly often just chaos anyways. But i need to be able to hear details around me as well.

And I'm lucky that i took this serious the moment i started to hear some peeping in my ears. It's very low, and doesn't effect my hearing that much, as far as i can tell at least. But it's a...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
There might be something helpful in accessibility/audio, but am not vested in its use.

I personally have tinnitus as well. I can't hear very well over the ringing, particularly women's voices or high pitches. I purchased a keyboard with a prominent volume knob. I set the system sound and my speakers to as loud as I would ever want things to be and then utilize the knob when things need to be louder or softer. The only place I have run into specific issue with it is while inside a VM, as that control doesn't port over (and/or I haven't learned how yet).

GL

Jul 14, 2021
Ok. So here is the thing. I spend quite some time playing computer games, and have done so for a very very long time. But in about the last two years or so, i started to hear a ringing noise in my ears, which did indeed make me turn down the volume on basically everything i do. It has gotten to a point, that just to be safe, i put master volume in some games at 25%.

But. This is not really the best solution. Because this means that in quiet areas, i can't hear anything, and in really huge battles, the sound can still be really loud.
So what i need to do, is either to buy some hardware that can sort of suppress sound so that it never goes above a certain threshold, or i can maybe find an app that can do this real time in windows.

I would like to be able to keep the sound loud in my games, so that i can hear the small things like footsteps and such when it's needed, but also not go deaf when all hell breaks loose.

Sounds like you need a Sound Leveler or Dynamic Range Compression, where the sound level difference between the loudest and softest sounds is lessen. It does this by boosting low sounds and lowering loud sounds. Many TVs and monitors have a sound setting, where compression is an option. The compression is minimal, however, to keep sounds natural, but it sounds like you need something more dramatic.

Unfortunately, you didn't state your operating system. My guess is that more options are available for Windows than Max, and more for Android than iOS. Of course, hardware options should be compatible with anything with an earphone jack.

Here's a thread that might help you. Although it focuses on gaming headphones, the soft solutions should work for speakers as well. Go to Reddit to read the replies.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/b0cchy/volume_leveler_for_pcgaming_with_headphones/

You can also do a websearch on "volume Leveler software" for more info.

TheFabled

Commendable
May 12, 2021
Thanks for your replies guys. That reddit post is something I'm going to look into for sure.
Yes I'm on Windows 10.

The only thing I'm trying to do, is to just be able to have full volume in anything. But then have something lower the audio before it reaches my ears, just a simple limiter if you will. That no sound reaching my ears ever exceed 85db for example. I don't really mind if huge battles are lowered in sound, as it doesn't matter, because it's mostly often just chaos anyways. But i need to be able to hear details around me as well.

And I'm lucky that i took this serious the moment i started to hear some peeping in my ears. It's very low, and doesn't effect my hearing that much, as far as i can tell at least. But it's a warning sign, and i don't want to take any chances. The main culprit is Overwatch, i have played it for almost 3500 hours and the big battles there are many and not far between, been molesting my ears for years.

Reactions: SamNYC
Jul 14, 2021
Yes I'm on Windows 10.

And I'm lucky that i took this serious the moment i started to hear some peeping in my ears. It's very low, and doesn't effect my hearing that much, as far as i can tell at least. But it's a warning sign, and i don't want to take any chances. The main culprit is Overwatch, i have played it for almost 3500 hours and the big battles there are many and not far between, been molesting my ears for years.

'Molesting my ears..." I'm sorry, I chuckled at that. Just like I did reading that Reddit post about "ear rape." I know that video games have been accused of violence but never expected the criticism to be aimed at the audio. I can, of course, add a pun about "aural" sex but I won't... Heh.

I was doing some last minute gift shopping and found these headphones that should fit your needs. They limit volume to 85db. And they would look fierce on you. They even light up. I bet your online opponents would feel intimidated just seeing you with these headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07R4B8LSS/ref=psdcmw_12097480011_t1_B07Y2GG5KL

Or maybe these. They don't light up, but the upper limit is 93db.

https://tinyurl. com/2p8hjzak

Do a search on Amazon and the web on "volume limiting headphones."

Jul 14, 2021
Yes I'm on Windows 10.

Would this be a solution? The article also mentions other software limiters.

Solution

TheFabled

Commendable
May 12, 2021
Would this be a solution? The article also mentions other software limiters.

Yeah, the program called Sound Lock from this link does exactly what i need. Thanks :)
Only drawback is that it's not instant, it's pretty close, but i can hear the 50-100ms lag it takes to detect a really loud sound before it muffles it down.
Though of course this is something i might get used to, and i will try out this software for a bit.

I don't have the enhancement tab in the sound options, so i could never enable microsoft's default sound limit mode. That's why i was lookinf for third party apps.
maybe down the line i should just buy a hardware limiter, because they are probably instant in response.

There might also be even better apps for this. Been googling and seems to be a program called "Voicemeteer Banana" which is suppose to be really good as well. Haven't tried it yet.

Anyways, thanks for your help all, and remember to take care of your ears. :)