MaxBlast killed other drive!! HELP!!

G

I thought I would be making my life easier by using the MaxBlast software (ver. 1.27S) to install a new Maxtor 60GB HD, I could not have been more wrong. When I ran the utility, I got a message saying an 'Older version of the software was found', and it would be upgraded. I was not using any overlay software so I don't know where this came from. After the install procedure was completed, one of my other drives was unreadable. The new Maxtor 60GB was configured as the secondary slave to the CD-ROM, the drive that is now unreadable was the primary slave to the 20GB Maxtor boot drive. The unreadable drive is a Quantum 8.4GB that was configured with 2 partitions. I tried disabling and uninstalling the MaxBlast and then ran fdisk/mbr... neither worked. The drive is now named ffffffff(D:) and is filled with (120) 1,677,722KB files named ffffffff.fff and 4 inaccessable directories with weird letter/number conbination names. Windows Explorer (Win98SE) tells me the drive is 191GB with 7.01 GB remaining, while the Drive Properties under My Computer shows 820MB used and 7.01GB remaining. DOS shows 7GB remaining with 1 directory called TEMP. The BIOS (at startup) says I have 3 drives each with 33GB capacity (although in the BIOS setup the drives are recognized correctly). I'm using an Abit BH6 motherboard with a recent flash. I can access the full 60GB on the new drive. Is there any possibility that the data on this drive is retrievable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

P.S. BTW, I called the Maxtor support line and their best advice was that I should not have used the MaxBlast software!!

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It looks like you are going to need to repartition and format the drives. If you tried uninstalling and removing Ez Bios and you are still having the same problem thats the only option that I can think of right now. Hope someone else knows of something because I haven't ever heard of anything ....

Hope you have the information backed up, because I don't know of anything that's going to fix that problem.

Sorry! Wish I could help more! Check the POST in this forum labled "Help, free my 2nd HD".

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>