[SOLVED] Maximising use of a 910 Mbps line

donuttb

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017
How do I maximize use of a 900mbps line?

We currently have between 800/900 download speed coming via the ethernet cable out the router, however the only thing close enough in proximity for the ethernet is the Sky TV box...
Meaning the only item using the 900 line we have is the sky box when downloading on demand shows, while I do admit, have snappy speeds on the box is nice, but it's a waste of potential.

The WiFi only puts out about 200/250 mbps despite the range (we live in a compact house) so it would be nice to get more use out of the speed. What's the best way I can do this?

I've been looking at 1000mbps powerlines, however can find consistent results from them. Some results say the get 400 ish, however they don't state the speed they get directly out the router e.g. they could get 500 out the router, but 400 out the powerline. This makes 400 down seem bad (as they don't state they get 500 max down) compared to the near 1gbps we nearly get.

What are some ways we can get this (or near) this ethernet speed around our house? WiFi extenders won't work as the WiFi only puts out 200, so repeating this connection won't increase anything.

Powerlines seem the only way here - what's the best powerlines I can go for, and what speed am I expected to get with a 900 down connection?

If there are any alternative methods to get this around the house (besides ethernet cabling through the walls), let me know!

Maybe a better question is if you go though lots of work what are you actually going to do with it. Does downloading a game in 2 minutes rather than 5 minutes really matter....especially when crap like steam will still take another 20 to verify and install it. I know my ISP changed their plans and no longer offers the one I have to new customers. They upped it 1gbit but increased the cost $30. I really should drop back to the basic 100mbps plan and save some money when I look at how seldom I actually use my connection at 100%

Part of the problem is the lies things like wifi tell. They do stuff like add transmit and receive speeds. If you do that with Ethernet it becomes a 2gbit cable. Ethernet can actually do that unlike the other technologies.

You could buy all 802.11ax (ie wifi6) stuff any you might get 600mbps. The powerline units that get 400 are the so called 2000 ones based on av2-1200 technology.

The only think other than ethernet than has any chance is moca and even then you want the newest 2.5 stuff to really be sure you get the full speeds. It to some extent depends on the quality of the coax cables in your walls. Moca is rather expensive since there are very few brands. The 2.5 equipment is almost impossible to get for some reason. Actiontec does not sell into the retail market. A company called gocoax was selling units everyone likes but has been out of stock for like 9 months. They were priced like the 2.0 versions from actiontec but were 2.5.

Maybe a better question is if you go though lots of work what are you actually going to do with it. Does downloading a game in 2 minutes rather than 5 minutes really matter....especially when crap like steam will still take another 20 to verify and install it. I know my ISP changed their plans and no longer offers the one I have to new customers. They upped it 1gbit but increased the cost $30. I really should drop back to the basic 100mbps plan and save some money when I look at how seldom I actually use my connection at 100%

Part of the problem is the lies things like wifi tell. They do stuff like add transmit and receive speeds. If you do that with Ethernet it becomes a 2gbit cable. Ethernet can actually do that unlike the other technologies.

You could buy all 802.11ax (ie wifi6) stuff any you might get 600mbps. The powerline units that get 400 are the so called 2000 ones based on av2-1200 technology.

The only think other than ethernet than has any chance is moca and even then you want the newest 2.5 stuff to really be sure you get the full speeds. It to some extent depends on the quality of the coax cables in your walls. Moca is rather expensive since there are very few brands. The 2.5 equipment is almost impossible to get for some reason. Actiontec does not sell into the retail market. A company called gocoax was selling units everyone likes but has been out of stock for like 9 months. They were priced like the 2.0 versions from actiontec but were 2.5.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS