Maximizing Budget, 4k

teambronze5

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
Budget is ~$4k for this 4k rig. I want to build a new computer, and I'm having a hard time deciding where my budget should go. Where would you spend your money, if you did what I did. Feel free to discuss opinions here.

Here is what I do:
Heavy Gaming with a lot of brand new titles and throwbacks
Twitch Streaming
VR: I intend on making this a VR machine too, with my Note 4 and a Gear VR headset

Here is what I don't do:
I don't use a lot of storage space, my SSD & HD is all games, currently using ~600Gb in total
I don't need a disc drive, speakers, or any I/O

Intended hardware:
CPU: i7 - 6700k Skylake with a Corsair H100i CPU cooler
GPU: Asus Strix 980 Ti
Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Hero or Extreme
Monitor: Asus PG27AQ 4k 60Hz
RAM: Corsair or G. Skill preferred [8GB or 16GB: suggestions?][speed minimum?]
Case: Corsair 750D (Probably)
PSU: Corsair RM (i) series, 1000W (Probably)
SSD: 250Gb 850 EVO
HD: 1TB WD Black
Gear VR Headset

This is what I would do, in order.

1) 2-way 980 Ti Sli: for max settings going forward, and GPU eye dedication during VR
2) Some real fast RAM: increase frame rate slightly
3) Better SSD: ROG RAIDR Express? 850 Pro?
4) More Storage: 1 or 2TB 850 EVO? 4, 5, or 6TB WD Black?
5) Something else?

Is there anyone who would vigorously suggest the MSI Gaming M9 ACK, Gigabyte G1 Gaming, or EVGA Classified over an Asus Maximus VIII Extreme???

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
I personally like the ROG boards the best...I would think about a 5960x over the 6700K though. Just a thought. 2x SLI 980 TI would be the thing to do and skip next year Pascal unless it ends up being really really good but I think that will happen with Volta which is due out late 2017 I think. I'd change the PSU from a RM, you can still use Corsair but the Rm is low end...try for ax series or ah.

teambronze5

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

First of all, thanks for the suggestions. You're not the only one who has problems with the RM series PSU in a build like this.

I chose the RM(i) series because it was supposed to be compatible with the new generation of Intel chips. I was considering a HX(i) series PSU but its an additional $50+ for a little more rating at the same wattage. Torn. :/

What would be a good reason to buy an HX(i) or AX(i) and not buy an RM (i) series? (Hypothetical situation: for 2 way Sli, @ 1000W or 1200W)

I also personally prefer ROG boards, and this is why I don't want to go X99. I would WANT a rampage V, and I would WANT to quad Sli, because I could with a 5960X & a rampage V. Do I really need quad GPU's... not at all. 2 way Sli I probably do need for 4k going forward with having max settings for as long as possible. 5960X + rampage V is also like $1400 vs. the $800 or less I would spend on a Skylake i7 and Z170 Max. VIII Extreme. I could go X99/5820k or 5930k and not buy ROG parts to cut costs, but I really do like ROG boards...

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
You're welcome. Honestly, that's a good set up right there you have with the 6700K. I just thought I'd throw out the 5960x out there cause it's a damn good chip going forward but really is not needed unless above 2x sli and 2x sli is enough...3x and 4x don't scale anywhere where it would make sense to spend another $700 for 10 FPS at 4K unless it's just money you don't care about.

I really would get away from the RM, it is a third tier power supply and the hxi and ax and axi are tier one. The RM uses much cheaper capacitors and is just not anywhere near the quality level of the ax and hx. With the 980 ti and a 6700K, I would spend $75-$100 more on the psu if it was that much just to make sure nothing ends up getting damaged. Especially with 2x sli. The 1000 W is enough, it's just the rest of the unit.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

EDIT: The RM is still better than the CX but I wouldn't trust it with those components.