Maximum bandwidth Wifi receiver with ethernet

sentry_gunner_531

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017
I was wondering, my PC has a strong wifi card in it but the computer its-self is in a bad location at a distance from the router, I have very low signal strength and a i have no ability of the router being moved closer or having a modem just for the computer, as well as there being multiple walls and a TV in direct line with the router to my PC.

Is there a possibility that there is an remote antenna that I can attach to a wall with the two cables running back to the card its-self, but then I was thinking about the signal loss over the length of the cable so it would need a repeater of some sort.

The second idea I had was a device close to the same size of the router however being a counterpart of the router, receiving a strong bandwith and strong signal from the router that can be re positioned, with a ethernet port that I could just run to my computer giving it strong signal and speed.

I have done some but not extensive research, I am just seeking knowledge from someone who is knowledgeable

Many Thanks

RyanTodd1

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
Standard Cat5E can run 100m before it starts to lose speed, how far are you from the Router?

Other things to consider is getting a WiFi repeater, if there is a power socket between you and the router (like halfway) plug it in and on them usually you can provide an Ethernet connection for them to repeat.

Your setup would look something like Wireless Router >>>(Ethernet connection)>>>>Wireless repeater>>>>(WiFi)>>>>Wireless NIC card in your PC.

sentry_gunner_531

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017
RyanTodd1, I wont run any cables nor use wifi repeaters as I have heard they have bigger drains of the wifi compaired to their gains, yet thanks for the suggestions

As for Kanewolf, the general idea of an "AV2 MIMO" device is what I was looking for but not in the form factor I have seen, if you know, do they come in diffrent form factors?

Edit: i have seem to misunderstand the concept of this device, it passes internet acess through house power outlets correct? I thought it was a type of wifi receiver that plugged into an outlet that had eathernet axcess

kanewolf

Titan

Yes, the devices I am advocating use house powerlines as network paths. You connect a standard ethernet to the router. Plug that cable into one of the powerline adapters and plug the adapter directly into the wall socket. Then in another room plug in the second unit and connect it to your PC via an ethernet cable.

USAFRet

Titan

Up to 100 meters, ethernet cable is by far better than any other option.
A good quality Cat5e will do full gigabit performance out to 100 meters.

RyanTodd1

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015

Peronally,

I'd run a single cat 5e cable to a room where you need it, then you can whack a dumb switch on the end if you need multiple connections.

Seems like the easiest way to get the best quality internet via Ethernet.