[SOLVED] Maximum capacity of an SSD on a three-four year old computer?

Oct 19, 2021
Hi!

I'm currently facing the following problem: I have a laptop with a 1TB hard drive and a 128GB SSD, and the hard drive is close to being dead (or, more likely, its SATA controller). So I'd like to take the opportunity to switch to 100% SSD, and my initial plan was to remove the hard drive (lighter and more battery-efficient, yay!) and replace the SSD with a 2TB nvme SSD (my motherboard is nvme-compatible, I checked/tested that).

But. But, someone at an IT shop I stopped by to check nvme compatibility warned me several times that on old hardware (well old, we're talking 2017 - 2018, that's not atrocious), it really “wasn't recommended to go beyond a 1TB SSD because the hardware might not support it.”

I had never heard this statement anywhere (other than for max partition size on windows with bios but I'm on Linux (Arch) with UEFI), so I'd love to cross-check that. What do you think? I can give any additional info you may need, of course.

Thank you!

Solution
D
Thanks! And of course: the model is ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. UX410UQK (ASUS Zenbook UX410UQ)
I need to know the max storage capacity of m.2 NVMe for my PC' FX553VD DM1039T

For both of these the manufacture and other places do not state a max drive size at all. I see no reason at all why you couldn't go up to 2-4tb, I have but 2tb drive in laptops of the same years with no issues.
D

Deleted member 362816

I really don't see any reason why you would run into a issue with a larger nvme on that laptop.

But just to be sure give me the model number of the laptop.

Reactions: AmauryPi
D

Deleted member 362816

Thanks! And of course: the model is ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. UX410UQK (ASUS Zenbook UX410UQ)
I need to know the max storage capacity of m.2 NVMe for my PC' FX553VD DM1039T

For both of these the manufacture and other places do not state a max drive size at all. I see no reason at all why you couldn't go up to 2-4tb, I have but 2tb drive in laptops of the same years with no issues.

Reactions: AmauryPi
Solution