[SOLVED] Maximum clearance of case for Assassin III

Dat Le

Reputable
Mar 1, 2020
Has anyone used the Assassin III air cooler? I want to ask what is the maximum CPU Clearance of the case to accommodate it (after lifting the fan)?

Solution
(after lifting the fan)?

Impossible to say - entirely depends how much you have to lift the fan?
The stock config is 165mm tall, just like the NH-D15, so you need 165mm clearance in the case + however high you need to raise the fan to clear RAM.

I have to raise my front fan on an NH-D15 to clear LPX ram*.... putting me right at the cusp of a Meshify-C's clearance, 170mm. So that gives you a starting point.

*LPX is 31mm tall.... so I need another 4-5mm.
Find the height of your RAM and work from 25-26mm as your base starting point.
Dominator Platinums (for example) are 55mm, so you'd need 165mm+30mm for a total clearance of 195mm.

That's an extreme example though, and most kits will fall in the ~40mm height range, requiring a...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
(after lifting the fan)?

Impossible to say - entirely depends how much you have to lift the fan?
The stock config is 165mm tall, just like the NH-D15, so you need 165mm clearance in the case + however high you need to raise the fan to clear RAM.

I have to raise my front fan on an NH-D15 to clear LPX ram*.... putting me right at the cusp of a Meshify-C's clearance, 170mm. So that gives you a starting point.

*LPX is 31mm tall.... so I need another 4-5mm.
Find the height of your RAM and work from 25-26mm as your base starting point.
Dominator Platinums (for example) are 55mm, so you'd need 165mm+30mm for a total clearance of 195mm.

That's an extreme example though, and most kits will fall in the ~40mm height range, requiring a lift of the front fan by ~15mm. So to be safe, you're probably looking at a case with clearance of 180mm.... of which there's not too many.
https://www.toptengamer.com/pc-case-compatible-cooler-gpu-heatsink/

What other components do you propose using?

Solution