Question Maximum possible hz when overclocking laptop screen?

Dec 31, 2019
I have an MSI GL65 9SC that I want to overclock. The screen's default is 60 hz, and I have overclocked it to 82 hz. It is running fine. What is the maximum possible hz that my laptop screen can support? Also, if I go too far, is there any permanent damage that could happen (laptop screen bricking, not being able to revert to lower hz), etc.

Thanks!

Yamaokka

Prominent
Jan 12, 2020
I have an MSI GL65 9SC that I want to overclock. The screen's default is 60 hz, and I have overclocked it to 82 hz. It is running fine. What is the maximum possible hz that my laptop screen can support? Also, if I go too far, is there any permanent damage that could happen (laptop screen bricking, not being able to revert to lower hz), etc.

Thanks!
Overclocking monitor is quite tricky , you cant really tell when it is at its limit , i ve got 60hz and i can overclock it to 85hz but i stick to 75hz because I want that monitor to last me and not be worried about it dying within hours or days. Find what youre comfortable with. Thats pretty much all i can say .

zx128k

Reputable
With later CRT monitors they would cut the signal if you went out of spec, this prevented components going beyond their design limits. The screen went blank if you increased the refresh rate beyond spec but if you circumvented this then you could physically damage the monitor.

With any kind of overclocking because you are going beyond the specifications of the display, you are taking an automatic risk.

With LCD displays its overheating that is the issue.

"Korean LCD (which uses the same panel as VG248QE, but a completely different scaler chip and firmware) being overclocked to 185hz, needing ACTIVE cooling fan to avoid damage. " source