[SOLVED] Maximum RAM for IdeaPad 3 15ARE05 (81W40019US)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neutropia

Honorable
Jul 29, 2016
Hello everyone. I just got a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15ARE05 (81W40019US) and I'm struggling with its max RAM capacity. The best I've been able to find is Office Max's listing that indicates it has 8GB and "Memory is expandable by up to 12GB." I know it's 1 soldered and 1 slot.

Does this mean I can add a 16GB in that slot for a total of 20 or am I limited to an 8GB stick for a total of 12? Would I be looking specifically for DDR4-2666 DIMM sticks or something else? I'm good with PCs but I'm terrible with Laptops :)

Memory specs are taken from https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/IdeaPad/IdeaPad_3_15ARE05?M=81W40019US

Reactions: hasaba

hasaba

Commendable
May 16, 2020
Would you mind telling me what brand of SSD it uses, and how the fan noise is? Also any other observations you have are welcome, like build quality and display quality. I am thinking about picking up one of these too. $520 is an insane deal for a laptop like this.

neutropia

Honorable
Jul 29, 2016
Would you mind telling me what brand of SSD it uses, and how the fan noise is? Also any other observations you have are welcome, like build quality and display quality. I am thinking about picking up one of these too. $520 is an insane deal for a laptop like this.

According to the benchmark I ran it's a Samsung MZALQ512HALU-000L2. When I was benchmarking it, the fan didn't get loud at all. You can audibly hear it, but it's on the same level as when I type. The passmark scores are below (the RAM is with the 16GB Crucial stick added). All in all, for the price, i really like this laptop. It's not going to be running any games on high settings but I didn't get it for gaming; i got it for work and so my wife can play Sims 4 (high settings, close to 60 FPS) and I can occasionally play some older games too in my backlog. Surprisingly, it was running Oblivion at max settings smoothly. The trackpack is a bit wonky and sensitivity is odd at times but I haven't played around with the settings; just got this thing 3 days ago.

3D scores take a hit of 60% as it's not a 4K screen

Reactions: hasaba

hasaba

Commendable
May 16, 2020
Thanks I appreciate that! I saw people complaining about the crappy TN panel, but I'm an engineering student so all I need is something that is powerful, not too bulky, upgradable, and affordable. I expect I'd be able to replace the display with an IPS one for not too much money if it really bothered me.

Status
Not open for further replies.