Question Maximum RAM Limitation?

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is the maximum RAM for a computer based on the BIOS or something else? I have small netbook that is "maxed" out at 2GB of 800MHz DDR2-800 PC2-6400, 200p SODIMM RAM. I'd like to increase it to 4GB. Possible?

kanewolf

Titan
Is the maximum RAM for a computer based on the BIOS or something else? I have small netbook that is "maxed" out at 2GB of 800MHz DDR2-800 PC2-6400, 200p SODIMM RAM. I'd like to increase it to 4GB. Possible?
Maybe. A netbook may not have any ram slots, just soldered RAM.
Some old hardware like this have limited number of address lines mapped to the memory slots. The cost of two 2GB SODIMMs can't be very much. Ebay has them for around $5. If you have slots, you can try it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If your notebook has a USB port, you can use a USB stick and enable ReadyBoost. This will use the SuperFetch files off the USB, freeing up space in your ram. A USB is slightly slower than ram (not sure how much considering you are looking at DDR2 800), which might affect some programs, but the other side of the coin is the freed up space inside the system ram itself, which will be used more effectively, especially in small file transitions.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS