Ryan237

Reputable
Nov 28, 2020
Hello, I want to get a straight answer for a memory question. I want to upgrade my ram once and I don't want to for a while, so I'm thinking of getting 4400Mhz modules (probably 4266Mhz to be honest) however I am finding different 'maximum' speeds for RAM on my motherboard model. For example, at rog.asus.com, they have list the maximum RAM supported as 3200Mhz in the title, but proceed to say 4400Mhz in the details below. Then in the QVL, there are RAM speeds of up to 4600Mhz. Some forums say the max is 3466Mhz. I cannot, for the life of me, understand where people are coming up with these numbers. Should I just use the QVL? It was updated as of 1.5 years ago.

As shown in the QVL for the ROG-STRIX B-450F Gaming, the motherboard supposedly can support a 2x8Gb of G.Skill 4600Mhz RAM (5th entry): here

Solution
You need to understand what role the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) It is the IMC strength located on the chip that determines what frequency you will achieve.

Your Motherboard may support 4400MHz but the CPU also has a limit.
In many cases you can exceed the up to limit however there is no guarantee you can attain the rated frequency of the RAM.
List your CPU or check the CPU specs to ascertain what official memory it supports up to.

With OC RAM not all SPD profiles work and very often when JDEC standards are exceeded you have to manually enter SPD details in Bios. (XMP and D.O.C.P are profiles)
Best RAM performance is not necessarily achieved by frequency as the higher you go the looser the Timings and higher the voltage to...
You need to understand what role the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) It is the IMC strength located on the chip that determines what frequency you will achieve.

Your Motherboard may support 4400MHz but the CPU also has a limit.
In many cases you can exceed the up to limit however there is no guarantee you can attain the rated frequency of the RAM.
List your CPU or check the CPU specs to ascertain what official memory it supports up to.

With OC RAM not all SPD profiles work and very often when JDEC standards are exceeded you have to manually enter SPD details in Bios. (XMP and D.O.C.P are profiles)
Best RAM performance is not necessarily achieved by frequency as the higher you go the looser the Timings and higher the voltage to maintain stability.

Yes you should choose your RAM kit from the Motherboard QVL . Choose the Size and frequency your MB and CPU support. For Ryzen 2000 series the sweet spot is 3200MHz with Samsung B-die chips.

I have a Ryzen 7-2700x which officially supports 2933MHz and chose G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GTZR . I have them Overclocked to 3200MHz and they work perfectly. As with all OC RAM you may have an XMP profile for easy Overclocking however there is no guarantee they will work at their rated frequency and may require Bios intervention to manually enter SPD details.

Reactions: Ryan237
Solution

Ryan237

Reputable
Nov 28, 2020
I see, I have a 2700x as well. I also have Gskill 3200Mhz RAM however mine is CL16.

Here's my big issue that I'm trying to solve. I think I have a great computer. I camped outside of a Microcenter for 17 hours to get a 3070 but for some reason my fps is below average for all the games I play, notably warzone (a CPU heavy game, which is why I was looking at RAM. This is after I got a new GPU). I expected it to be my GPU, but after the upgrade not much came my way. Do you think it's because of my ram? Online it says that the 3070 and 2700x have great compatibility and I just can't seem to understand what could be the issue. I am also running all these games on low settings, whereas online testing is done on HIGH settings. Any ideas?

Edit:
I should also mention I am using a 1080p 144hz monitor

Here are my PC parts:

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x (OC 4Ghz)
GPU - EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3070 (OC, shown in MSI Afterburner picture)
RAM - 2x8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 3200Mhz
MoBo - Asus ROG-Strix B450-F Gaming
PSU - EVGA 650BQ
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb 7200 Rpm
SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb

Cooling:
Phanteks P400A
Noctua NH-D15s

As a power user I elected to use an AIO Twin Rad for better cooling and have mine Overclocked to 4.2GHz.
I play AAA games and temps never exceed 80C even on the hottest of days.
Ripjaws at 3200MHz should work well so I don't think that is your issue.

As many AAA games are CPU intensive it would be advantageous to Overclock your CPU to 4.2GHz if your D15 will cope.
I doubt it will but try and see for short period under load. Also your GPU may need tuning and your Power performance profile configured for performance.
Run AIDA64 stress test for ten mins to determine temps and also your GPU separately. With that and HWinfo64 you can determine voltages and system temps.

Ryan237

Reputable
Nov 28, 2020
I have tried overclocking but my CPU is unstable at 4.1Ghz and crashes at 4.2Ghz. It doesn't seem to get too hot though, maybe it's the power? I don't think I've tried overclocking again with the 650Watt PSU, I tried this all on my old 550Watt

Update:
I'm going to try overclocking now. Also realized I forgot to include my GPU overclock information. -> OC Info

Last edited: