[SOLVED] Maximum Resolution Supported on External Monitor on Elitebook 745 G3

Jul 10, 2020
I am using the HP Elitebook 745 G3 which has the Radeon R6 Graphics.

The Laptop screen is running at Full HD 1080P resolution. I would like to understand what is the maximum display resolution this laptop based on the Radeon R6 Graphics would support on an external Monitor when connected via the Display Port?

Need this info as I am planning to decide on which External Monitor to Purchase based on this info and looking at some 1440P options and want to be sure that this Laptop is compatible.

Solution
Thanks a lot for the response.

Correct - I am not looking at this for Gaming - primary usecase, I will connect my Business/Work laptop and use it. Secondary usecase I am thinking is to use it for entertainment by adding a Fire Stick or Chromecast.

Given that 1080P Monitors are very cheap, I want to ensure that the price difference I am paying for a 1440P is usable and I dont end up seeing a 1080 P resolution on a 1440 P screen due to laptop limitations.

I found the below link which seems to call out in the Display section that the Laptop supports upto 60 Hz/4K via the Display Port provided on it: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04818135 , however there are 2 Display Card variants in the Laptop mode, one...
Jul 10, 2020
Should be just fine at 1440, even low end video chips can run pretty high resolution if you are not worried about high refresh rates or gaming.

Correct - I am not looking at this for Gaming - primary usecase, I will connect my Business/Work laptop and use it. Secondary usecase I am thinking is to use it for entertainment by adding a Fire Stick or Chromecast.

Given that 1080P Monitors are very cheap, I want to ensure that the price difference I am paying for a 1440P is usable and I dont end up seeing a 1080 P resolution on a 1440 P screen due to laptop limitations.

I found the below link which seems to call out in the Display section that the Laptop supports upto 60 Hz/4K via the Display Port provided on it: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04818135 , however there are 2 Display Card variants in the Laptop mode, one with R6 Chip and another with R7 Chip...so still not able to zero in 100% since I have the Radeon R6 Chip

Last edited:

I found the below link which seems to call out in the Display section that the Laptop supports upto 60 Hz/4K via the Display Port provided on it: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04818135 , however there are 2 Display Card variants in the Laptop mode, one with R6 Chip and another with R7 Chip...so still not able to zero in 100% since I have the Radeon R6 Chip

Even that R6 will run external monitor at 1440.

Solution