[SOLVED] Maximus Hero XI / i9 9900k Showing CPU Temp Stuck at 11C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2020
Hello! I've got a strange problem which is probably hardware related, but before I RMA anything/everything I wanted to check with you guys and hopefully see if there is a workaround.

The problem is that my Motherboard/BIOS is reporting a CPU temperature of 11 degrees Celsius, which is obviously far lower than it actually is. All forms of troubleshooting (including resetting CMOS, updating BIOS, and reapplying paste) have been unsuccessful. The issue with this is that because of this reading, my CPU/case fans are not spinning up at high temps, which is causing the CPU to reach temps of 90C+ under load unless I manually set the fan speeds to bring the temps back down.

The strange thing is, while my BIOS and Asus related software is showing 11C, other software such as MSI Afterburner and HWMonitor are showing the correct temperatures... but I can't use those to control my fans (to my knowledge at least). See screenshot of Asus Utilities vs MSI Afterburner here: View: https://i.imgur.com/ZQrfMwP.png

Additionally, I checked HWINFO to see what exactly was being reported, and found it a bit strange. All of the CPU temperatures (including individual core temperatures) are reading properly, but under the Motherboard section there are TWO CPU temperatures listed... one is correct, and one is stuck at 11C. See screenshot here: View: https://i.imgur.com/lmDQSO0.png

So my questions are as follows:

1. Why are there two CPU temperatures under my motherboard?
  2. Why is one of them (evidently the one my BIOS uses) stuck at 11C? (my research online has pointed to an Intel CPU digital thermal sensor (DTS) issue, but I'd like your input on this)
  3. Is there any workaround to allow my case/CPU fans to use the correct CPU temperatures, rather than the one being reported to the BIOS? I'm fine with using software or whatever else if it can avoid an RMA. If I can somehow set a fan curve using the proper temperature sensor, that would completely resolve my issue.

If it matters I did recently install a 3080 in my system, so I wonder if this is somehow power related? I have a Corsair RM1000W power supply so I figured that should be plenty. This issue occurred only a few days after getting the 3080 hooked up, so the timing is definitely suspect.

Any input on this issue would be appreciated. thank you!

Oct 20, 2020
Hello! I've got a strange problem which is probably hardware related, but before I RMA anything/everything I wanted to check with you guys and hopefully see if there is a workaround.

The problem is that my Motherboard/BIOS is reporting a CPU temperature of 11 degrees Celsius, which is obviously far lower than it actually is. All forms of troubleshooting (including resetting CMOS, updating BIOS, and reapplying paste) have been unsuccessful. The issue with this is that because of this reading, my CPU/case fans are not spinning up at high temps, which is causing the CPU to reach temps of 90C+ under load unless I manually set the fan speeds to bring the temps back down.

The strange thing is, while my BIOS and Asus related software is showing 11C, other software such as MSI Afterburner and HWMonitor are showing the correct temperatures... but I can't use those to control my fans (to my knowledge at least). See screenshot of Asus Utilities vs MSI Afterburner here: View: https://i.imgur.com/ZQrfMwP.png

Additionally, I checked HWINFO to see what exactly was being reported, and found it a bit strange. All of the CPU temperatures (including individual core temperatures) are reading properly, but under the Motherboard section there are TWO CPU temperatures listed... one is correct, and one is stuck at 11C. See screenshot here: View: https://i.imgur.com/lmDQSO0.png

So my questions are as follows:

1. Why are there two CPU temperatures under my motherboard?
  2. Why is one of them (evidently the one my BIOS uses) stuck at 11C? (my research online has pointed to an Intel CPU digital thermal sensor (DTS) issue, but I'd like your input on this)
  3. Is there any workaround to allow my case/CPU fans to use the correct CPU temperatures, rather than the one being reported to the BIOS? I'm fine with using software or whatever else if it can avoid an RMA. If I can somehow set a fan curve using the proper temperature sensor, that would completely resolve my issue.
If it matters I did recently install a 3080 in my system, so I wonder if this is somehow power related? I have a Corsair RM1000W power supply so I figured that should be plenty. This issue occurred only a few days after getting the 3080 hooked up, so the timing is definitely suspect.

Any input on this issue would be appreciated. thank you!

maybe it's the motherboard having some issues at counting the temperature.. have you tried using another motherboard??

Status
Not open for further replies.