Maximus IX Code Memory Configuration Help

tac339

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hello good people of Toms!
This community helped me build my first ever PC in 2010 (big-ups!) and I'm about to build my 2nd rig. However I have an issue.

I'm planning on using the Rog Maximus IX Code motherboard and 32GB (2x 16GB modules) of RAM.

THE ISSUE:
There is an illustration in the 'System Memory' section that shows when installing two modules for dual channel mode the recommended slots are DIMM_A2, and DIMM_B2. As it turns out, these are the gray slots. Makes perfect sense.
Unfortunately, the very last page of the memory QVL states that when installing two modules for dual channel mode the recommended slots are in fact the black slots, which are DIMM_A1, and DIMM_B1.

Color me confused.

I have contacted Asus support but without a direct answer they pointed me back to the direction of the QVL. Is this the end-all solution I can trust?

Many thanks if you made it through this long winded question!. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but this answer will probably determine the HSF I pair with this build.

Solution
First of all, welcome back to the community and congratulations on an excellent choice. The Code is one of the best Z270 boards out there and my personal favorite.
Coming to your question, the default should be A1-B1, but you can install in any order you want. Ideally it should not be a problem. And if you get the Corsair LPX(Low Profile) kit along with it, there wont be any intrusion to the HSF irrespective of size.
Personally in one of my brothers rig which i have build, he has the 7700k on the Code along with 4x8gb sticks of Corsair LPX 3200 and Cryorig R1 Ultimate running perfectly.
Hope this helps.
First of all, welcome back to the community and congratulations on an excellent choice. The Code is one of the best Z270 boards out there and my personal favorite.
Coming to your question, the default should be A1-B1, but you can install in any order you want. Ideally it should not be a problem. And if you get the Corsair LPX(Low Profile) kit along with it, there wont be any intrusion to the HSF irrespective of size.
Personally in one of my brothers rig which i have build, he has the 7700k on the Code along with 4x8gb sticks of Corsair LPX 3200 and Cryorig R1 Ultimate running perfectly.
Hope this helps.

Solution

tac339

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Thanks for the reply!
So 2 modules installed in either A1 & B1 -or- A2 & B2 will utilize dual channel mode and does not make a difference which slots I install to? You'll have to forgive my ignorance here, I've been trying to find this answer all over the place.

Also, I keep reading that for dual channel boards, installing two DIMMS is better than installing four DIMMS. Having read up on the matter, my OCD will most likely prevent me from installing a 32GB set in 4x 8GB modules.. Mind you, this is STRICTLY a gaming build, so I most likely won't notice a difference but I will know it's there..

tac339

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

I couldn't agree more. I'd rather fill all 4 slots with ram. However the HSF option I am leaning towards blocks the first memory slot. The AIO option I'm leaning more towards looks like it does as well. And here we come full circle to the dillema.
I think I'll pick up the Kraken x62 and just use some Dominators in A_2 and B_2 and see what happens.
Thanks for taking the time to reply!