[SOLVED] Maximus VIII Hero Z170 + 7700K: getting code 63 and not POSTing ?

Aug 24, 2021
Hey folks, I have an odd problem involved with Maximus viii hero CPU upgrade from 6600k to 7700k.

It works flawlessly previously with 6600k. When upgraded with 7700k, it posted initially for bios setup. But after save and reboot it stuck with code 63, no posting. I spent the whole night to figure out if I manually set the ram to 2400 or below it is able to boot into windows with all the OC settings lost. Intel XTU also has the OC setting grey out and under stress test it can only run no higher than 4.4ghz 56w. In comparison, the 6600k can do 4.8ghz 120w without a problem on the same board. I did find another 7600k to test and the same thing happens again so it definitely goes with the mobo.

Also want to mention I tried all five bios versions I can find on asus website that supports kabylake CPUs.

Best regards!

Last edited:
Solution
Hey folks, I have an odd problem involved with Maximus viii hero CPU upgrade from 6600k to 7700k.

It works flawlessly previously with 6600k. When upgraded with 7700k, it posted initially for bios setup. But after save and reboot it stuck with code 63, no posting. I spent the whole night to figure out if I manually set the ram to 2400 or below it is able to boot into windows with all the OC settings lost. Intel XTU also has the OC setting grey out and under stress test it can only run no higher than 4.4ghz 56w. In comparison, the 6600k can do 4.8ghz 120w without a problem on the same board. I did find another 7600k to test and the same thing happens again so it definitely goes with the mobo.

Also want to mention I tried all five...

Also want to mention I tried all five bios versions I can find on asus website that supports kabylake CPUs.

Best regards!

Qcode 63-67 is the DXE (Driver Execution Environment) and is a broad flag and differs depending on the CPU.

The (DXE) phase is where most of the system initialization is performed. Pre-EFI Initialization (PEI), the phase prior to DXE, is responsible for initializing permanent memory in the platform so that the DXE phase can be loaded and executed.

First it's best to eliminate your RAM from the trouble shooting equation.

Test your RAM using Memtest86 and just have 1 DRAM module in the slot meant for single channel mode. If no success then switch modules incase a module is faulty.
Should the system continue to fail POST then clear CMOS and you may have to reflash your Bios again. What Bios are you on.?
Please list the RAM you are using.? Part No or SKU

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 24, 2021
Qcode 63-67 is the DXE (Driver Execution Environment) and is a broad flag and differs depending on the CPU.

The (DXE) phase is where most of the system initialization is performed. Pre-EFI Initialization (PEI), the phase prior to DXE, is responsible for initializing permanent memory in the platform so that the DXE phase can be loaded and executed.

First it's best to eliminate your RAM from the trouble shooting equation.

Test your RAM using Memtest86 and just have 1 DRAM module in the slot meant for single channel mode. If no success then switch modules incase a module is faulty.
Should the system continue to fail POST then clear CMOS and you may have to reflash your Bios again. What Bios are you on.?
Please list the RAM you are using.? Part No or SKU
For bios I tested 3802, 3703, 3504, 3401 and 3201. No difference at all. The Ram I tested with are Ballistix RGB 3200MHz and XPG Z1 3000MHz, again, no difference on which one I used. With everything default, it will be stuck at the second boot with code 63 no posting. Clear the CMOS allows it to enter the bios next time. If I manually set the DRAM 2400MHz or below it will boot with very limited CPU performance. I tested with both 7700k and 7600k that has exactly the same problem, while 6600k runs perfectly fine.

If you can access Bios after clearing CMOS then there is a setting in Bios that needs to be changed and as the system boots OK with the 6600k leads me to suspect your Chipset drivers. Update the Chipset to Version 11.7.0.1040 seeing as problems occur once you are in Windows.

Also describe the method you used of flashing your Bios.
Did you update using Flashback from the rear I/O panel? or from within Bios?
Are you sure the bios flash was successful?

Aug 24, 2021
If you can access Bios after clearing CMOS then there is a setting in Bios that needs to be changed and as the system boots OK with the 6600k leads me to suspect your Chipset drivers. Update the Chipset to Version 11.7.0.1040 seeing as problems occur once you are in Windows.

Also describe the method you used of flashing your Bios.
Did you update using Flashback from the rear I/O panel? or from within Bios?
Are you sure the bios flash was successful?

I flashed the bios through the EZ Flash utility. It appears to be good. I can see the correct bios version from the system info in BIOS setup. I can’t find the chipset driver you mentioned above. Could you provide a download link? Many thanks!

I flashed the bios through the EZ Flash utility. It appears to be good. I can see the correct bios version from the system info in BIOS setup. I can’t find the chipset driver you mentioned above. Could you provide a download link? Many thanks!

See how you go with the chipset update. Scroll down to obtain the Chipset driver.Select the operating system then scroll down under driver and tools.

This is not a guaranteed fix for your issue however it is needed to search for the hardware initialization problem.