Maximus VIII Not Supporting Quad-Channel RAM?

Hey guys, I purchased a few sticks of ram for my Skylake setup I just got. Im using the Maximus VIII ranger and its 16 GB in quad channel for slightly faster speeds. My problem is: The system won't post unless it has only 8 GB of memory installed in dual-channel configuration. I made sure its DDR4, and its a Kingston HyperX Black Set. I would appreciate it if someone could help me figure this out.
Things Ive Done:
Ran RAM DIMMS I know work in different slots. Results: RAM Still Works
Ran Working DIMMS one at a time: All DIMM's still work.
Ran Working DIMMS in dual channel: System Posts
Ran All 4 DIMMS in quad channel: The system won't post.
I've also checked the post codes and Ill have to look again, because the board says there's a RAM error.
All help is appreciated.

Solution
when it running with 8gb and you see what the spec the bios running RAM.
Also check the bios version. There are a few update already.
First of all, Z170 is dual channel only.
Yes, there are 4 banks, but they run in pairs for dual channel operation.

4 stick kits are more expensive because they need to be carefully matched.
If you bought, for example two 2x4gb kits, they are not guaranteed to work.

For 16gb, it is recommended that you use a single 2 x 8gb kit.

To make what you have work, try increasing the ram voltage a bit in the bios.

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

The board supports Dual channel up to 64GB with 4 open RAM slots.
So it cannot support quad channel.

I am going to assume you have 4x4GB DDR4 RAM.
Running in dual channel would mean using all the slots or using alternating slots. This you say works just fine. But with all four RAM sticks in you have the error.

4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3400(O.C.)/3333(O.C.)/3300(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

Are the RAM sticks all the same? Is XMP enabled? Is anything overclocked? Can you give us the exact RAM model and quantity you have? Have you tried a BIOS update that was earlier suggested?

Yuniverse7

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
I'm also having the same problem.
I've updated the BIOS to version 1001 which came out 10/1/15 and I've enabled XMP and it matches the spd of my memory.
cosair CMK32GX4M4A2666C16 4 sticks of 8GB for total of 32GB - this came as one package and the serial numbers are in sequence.
Whenever i try to use bank A1 or A2, it fails giving me either 55 or 41. So I have two sticks in B1 and B2 which would disable dual channel
Perhaps my MB is DOA for those A1 and A2 banks.

Just downloaded the latest BIOS version from the ASUS Website. My BIOS version was from July, so I think it might just need an update. Either Way, it will take me a bit to get the RAM installed properly in the system, so I'll keep you guys posted.

Gerard Freeman

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

I have the same ram you have. I put all 4 in my Asus Maximus VIII Extreme board, and my I/O ports, keyboard and mouse would not work. I took out 2 rams and it worked perfectly.

Gerard Freeman

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

I got the same message like you did. I wonder if we are using the correct ram. Strange.