Maximus X Hero & G. Skill Trident Z 3200

bsullivan1983

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
Hey everyone! I'm about two weeks into this new build. First boot went smooth. No issues whatsoever. Restarted, went into the BIOS (after flashing to the latest BIOS version), enabled XMP, saved/restarted.... then that's when trouble happened. The computer just could not POST. I've read about a lot of people having issues with this board and XMP. A couple times after disabling, re-enabling, it would boot, but ultimately it just stopped working. I increased the voltage to 1.375 and have had no trouble since then - my question/experience is this - I've been building computers for 22 years and have never had to manually adjust any XMP settings. Is this something with the new Z370 boards or high speed memory? I'd rather not have to increase the voltage but the jump from 2133 to 3200 is just too much. Is there any other way around this? I've been building computers a long time, but overclocking has never been my thing. I'm changing that now but I'm far behind in the knowledge required to successfully do it. Here is the build (which could be changing very soon as I may be copying the aesthetics/RGB of this computer - https://pcpartpicker.com/b/GcyXsY):

Fractal Design Meshify C
Asus Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi (latest BIOS)
G. Skill Trident Z 3200 2x8GB (F4-3200C14D-16GTZ - on the QVL)
Intel Core i7-8700k
be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro
Asus Strix 1080 Ti
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2
Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
be quiet! Silentwings 3 2x140mm High Speed (non-PWM)
be quiet! Silentwings 3 1x120mm (non-PWM)

So, experience with this board and high speed RAM? Some have had no issues, a lot have had issues. I read about setting the VCCIO and VCSSA to 1.2 each and starting from there. Also enabling Mode 1 in XMP settings. This suggests starting at 1.2... I was unable to become stable until I bumped my voltage to 1.375. Seems pretty far off. I've already run HCI MemTest, Memtest86 and RAM Test, all saying the memory has no issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long, drawn out post. Have a great day everyone!