Maximus X Hero. Uses for WiFi/Bluetooth?

Agrajag

Distinguished
May 24, 2005
I just set up this board (Z370) and it's rock solid (phew, as there were a lot of dead boards reported on Amazon).

I really didn't care about the WiFi option, but since it came with the board I went ahead and set it up. I'm wondering what possible uses I might have for this and the bluetooth (which I assume uses the same antenna).

Is it simply used to allow the PC to connect to a wireless network? If so, that's a big waste and I can't imagine most people with desktop's not connecting via Ethernet.

It would be great if I could more easily share files back and forth with my phone, etc. Just want to see if there's something more interesting for this to do or if I should just disable it and pack away the antenna.

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
I have the same Mobo, I use the antena to connect my Bluetooth controller as well as Bluetooth ear buds, and of course wifi even though I use Ethernet.

Agrajag

Distinguished
May 24, 2005

Thanks. There's virtually nothing about this in the Asus manual (not a huge surprise) so I'm not even clear on working with it. For example, how the heck to you even pair a device via bluetooth? Does it just work?

if you have windows 10 you can pair it in settings. in windows 7 you go through control panel

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

If you've ever used a laptop with Bluetooth it's the same, wifi is in the w10 wifi menu and Bluetooth is just in Bluetooth settings, make sure you install the Bluetooth and wifi drivers off the mobos support page. If you play any free world games (with vehicles) or racing games then it's nice to have a xbox controller that connects without needing to plug it in or buy a Bluetooth dongle, other then that if you don't think you'll ever use the antenna then they make a version of the hero x without bluetooth/wifi, but at that point you might as well get the z370 strix board and save some money.