[SOLVED] Maximus XI Extreme with two ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti GPUs

Nov 3, 2019
medium.com
I currently have one RTX 2080 TI GPU and it very rarely gets any hotter than 70C, even overclocked to 2100MHz.

I am considering adding the second GPU, but the top one is likely to be choked and would overheat. I've tried installing the one I have vertically close to the glass in H500M case and it gets over 85C at full power - so I expect it to be even worse in SLI setup as the backplate of the current GPU warms up to 60C. I've also seen this build having the same problem: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/6FnH99

Does anyone here have this setup and managed to solve GPU temperature problem without reducing power as the linked build describes?

Solution
Do you already have the second card? If not get a blower style model for the top position. As it can generate the static pressure needed to pull air through a narrow gap. Then exhaust it out the rear.

While multi-fan cards which recirculate air normally perform better in open environments with a lot of air flow. Blower style cards work better in restricted environments. Like ITX cases, SLI and poor airflow cases.
Do you already have the second card? If not get a blower style model for the top position. As it can generate the static pressure needed to pull air through a narrow gap. Then exhaust it out the rear.

While multi-fan cards which recirculate air normally perform better in open environments with a lot of air flow. Blower style cards work better in restricted environments. Like ITX cases, SLI and poor airflow cases.

Solution
Nov 3, 2019
medium.com

Not yet - partially, because of these concerns :) That maybe a good idea with only downside being a somewhat worse performance of blower card chip (for this model at least) - thank you.

Am I right that two cards in SLI mode can work at different clock speeds? Or should they be the same?

As far as I can tell. SLI doesn't force the clock speeds in sync anymore. Not that it matters as the slower of the two would limit performance. Although you could clock both the same with OC software.

Also be sure the games you are playing even benefit from SLI. So, few people use SLI that many game developers don't bother with support or only do minimal optimizations.

Reactions: player678
Nov 3, 2019
medium.com
I did check the benchmarks for these two cards in SLI - it seems like most games see 30-90% FPS increase. GTA V was +90% e.g., so I hope RDR2 will benefit too (pre-loaded and waiting :)

I haven’t seen the benchmarks for OC version together with blower style non-OC version though. I guess I can try and return if it doesn’t work ;)

Also I’m wondering if I put the OC version in the bottom slot and both slots become 8x PCI, will I be able to disable the top slot completely so only the bottom card gets 16x PCI speed (if any games don’t use SLI - there was only one in the benchmark out of 15 tested though)?

Nov 3, 2019
medium.com
I will hold off buying until Black Friday deals anyway :)

If anybody has seen the benchmarks for Asus 2080 Ti O11G + 11G (i.e. overclocked version I have + blower card that was suggested) - please post. I can't find anything...

Should I maybe post a separate question?