Question Maximus xi hero 4 x 16gb g.skill ripjaws v 3000mhz not booting in xmp

May 4, 2019
Hello all!

I have an intel i9900k with gtx1080, 64gb ram ddr4 3000mhz and maximus xi hero wifi motherboard.

I'm unable to boot with XMP 1 or XMP 2 enabled. It boots fine at 2133mhz and xmp disabled. I would like to know how to get the ram to clock at 3000mhz.
(I have the lates bios update ( 190504 ). Ram is G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb 1.35v

Thanks,

Paul

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you updated bios yourself did you load bios defaults to update cmos?

Have you tried to manually configure ram?

When enabling xmp, does it set dram voltage to 1.35v?

Assuming 4x 16GB (64GB), are these bought as a set or seperate? Have you tried with two sticks?

May 4, 2019
If you updated bios yourself did you load bios defaults to update cmos?

Have you tried to manually configure ram?

When enabling xmp, does it set dram voltage to 1.35v?

Assuming 4x 16GB (64GB), are these bought as a set or seperate? Have you tried with two sticks?
Yes bios default to update.
Yes to manually configured
1.35 set with xmp
2 different sets of 2x16gb

2 sticks work (a2b2) work as 3000mhz. Even 3 sticks (a2b2) + a1 OR b1 work as 3000.
4 sticks work as 2133mhz

So every slot can xmp but for some reason at 4 stick it won’t boot

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I'm wondering if it's a limitation of the cpu's memory controller and/or motherboard having all dimms populated. Someone with more knowledge may be able to help.

Have you tried other frequencies? ie 2666?

Yes bios default to update.

Do you mean you loaded bios defaults prior to update? Have you reset cmos afterwards so cmos is updated with new system parameters from the bios rom? Loading bios defaults should reset cmos but double check by clearing cmos manually to be sure. Either by removing cmos battery from motherboard for a minute or using the clear cmos function. Directions how to use the clear cmos jumper/or button should be in the manual. If you remove the cmos battery, make sure you disconnect power and discharge remaining power from capacitors by holding down the power button for a good 30 seconds. Remember which side the battery goes back.

May 4, 2019
I'm wondering if it's a limitation of the cpu's memory controller and/or motherboard having all dimms populated. Someone with more knowledge may be able to help.

Have you tried other frequencies? ie 2666?

Do you mean you loaded bios defaults prior to update? Have you reset cmos afterwards so cmos is updated with new system parameters from the bios rom? Loading bios defaults should reset cmos but double check by clearing cmos manually to be sure. Either by removing cmos battery from motherboard for a minute or using the clear cmos function. Directions how to use the clear cmos jumper/or button should be in the manual. If you remove the cmos battery, make sure you disconnect power and discharge remaining power from capacitors by holding down the power button for a good 30 seconds. Remember which side the battery goes back.

I have loaded bios defaults prior to update yes. I have also reset CMOS before the update.
I got it to work last night by boosting the dram voltage to 1.400. BUT, then I updated to bios and it never booted again.
I don't understand why 2 slots at 3000mhz and 3 slots at 3000mhz are working in any order. Just that 4th stick making it impossible. Even if I try to clock the ram at a lower frequency ( 2600 - 2666, etc ) it doesn't work.
4 slots at 2133 is ok.....

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I have loaded bios defaults prior to update yes. I have also reset CMOS before the update.

It is important to clear cmos after (not before - before doesn't matter) update to flush out old data that's in cmos to be replaced with new data from the bios file you updated to.

As sizzling said, it's possibly memory compatibility between the two different sets when using them all together in dual channel.