[SOLVED] Maximus XI Hero Wifi and Evo 970 M.2 driver issue

Jan 17, 2019
Hi all,

I am brand new to this whole building a computer thing and may have gotten a little over my comfort zone. I successfully built my first PC from the ground up and I was excited to use an M.2 NVME drive for my OS. Currently, I have Windows 10 loaded onto the M.2 and for whatever reason I am experiencing the following struggles:

VERY slow boot times... I am talking like between 40 seconds to 2 minutes which I know is horribly slow for an M.2 drive. My old computer had a SSD and it booted within seconds. I first installed the M.2 into the slot near the CPU M.2_1 then I talked to a rep at ASUS and they said to move it to the M.2_2 (i didnt have a screw for it to hold place so I just threw the heat sink shield on and screwed it in) so I did. I then changed SATA mode selection from Intel RST to AHCI. I then changed the M.2_1 config to PCIE . Windows shows the drive but has the Microsoft Drivers - Not sure how to get the best performance from my m.2.

Which slot should it be in? M.2_1 or M.2_2?

What do I do in BIOS to run as fast as possible for great boot times?

Windows says the newest driver for the M.2 is installed (Microsoft version) so how do I get the Samsung one installed?

I bought Windows 10 but I saw online it might have to be a bootable UEFI version?

Thank you in advance for this as I am a complete newbie to this and I couldn't really find a solution online.

Jan 17, 2019

I think I installed the UEFI Windows. Is there a way to tell?

I believe I did because now the computer boots up within 10 or so seconds and on the Samsung it says latest drive. Although, the section where you see your partitions shows Microsoft drive but in device manager it says Samsung driver.