Maxing out RAM: Good or Bad?

Spencer The Kid

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
This may be a dumb question, honestly don't care if it is. But, I have a PC with an Intel Core i7-5930k [For those that aren't familiar with the specs its 6-cores at 3.5GHz stock speed] and my motherboard has 8 RAM slots on it. Right now I have 16 GB of 3000MHz RAM. My simple question is, will maxing out the RAM to 64GB, the most the CPU can handle, somehow inhibit or bottlecap or slowdown or whatever word you want to use, the performance of the computer. It seems to me like maxing out the RAM would somehow put a large load on the CPU. Idk. Just being sure. (For those of you who are just going to say, "WTF do you need more then 16 Gigs of RAM for?". My answer is, "Because I feel like it." ;D)

Solution
It does put a bit more load on the memory controller and can in some cases affect max memory speed negatively if u want to oc your ram. But it shouldn't hurt anything... If you do go to 64 gb ram buy a 64 gb kit, don't just add ram to what you have. I can nearly guarantee you wont get 8 random sticks to work at rated speeds/timings

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
It does put a bit more load on the memory controller and can in some cases affect max memory speed negatively if u want to oc your ram. But it shouldn't hurt anything... If you do go to 64 gb ram buy a 64 gb kit, don't just add ram to what you have. I can nearly guarantee you wont get 8 random sticks to work at rated speeds/timings

Solution

Hawkshot

Admirable
if you add 64gb of Ram to your computer your CPU may run a bit hotter but it wont slow it down any in fact if you're rendering high end videos you will see a small jump in speed apart from that its not needed but if you want it go for it.

Spencer The Kid

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

Hmm, so I guess maxing out the RAM to the most my CPU can handle won't put so much load-stress on the PC that it will decrease overall performance. I'm thinking that it would even help to 'downclock', per say; the RAM speed to just a bit below the manufactured speed to help reduce the load. Makes sense in my mind. But I know not.

Thank you for the tip :wahoo:

Spencer The Kid

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

Pretty straightforward answer. I like it :p.

Thanks for the help.

Spencer The Kid

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

Thanks for the tip, but I wouldn't worry too much about having to downclock at 2133MHz, I decided i probably won't even downclock anyway :p. I'm going to get 3000MHz RAM.