Maxtor 3200 - computer won't start

ricardofurriel

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
So... I have a external Maxtor 3200 300GB that I tried to convert into a 2nd internal HD. I happen to plug in the wrong external power adaptor and I heard a little burn sound so I opened the box and removed the HD...

After installing it on my PC, the computer won't boot. The fan will start working for a quick second and then the whole computer shuts down... I connected this 2nd HD via the long cable (maybe 24 pins?) to the MB. Everything works fine if I unplugged the power connector (and therefore make it undiscoverabler by BIOS/Windows)

Running Windows 7 64 bit, X4 955, MB ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 890GX, PSU Coolermaster 550W

Is there a possibility the HD is burned and prevent the system from starting? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Bin it.
If it causes your PC to power-down that fast, it's almost certainly got a major fault; the machine is probably shutting down to minimise the chance of damaging other components (if it hasn't already!).

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Bin it.
If it causes your PC to power-down that fast, it's almost certainly got a major fault; the machine is probably shutting down to minimise the chance of damaging other components (if it hasn't already!).

Solution