rasto99

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
Hi. I have an old motherboard mVP3 with udma2 maximum. My new harddrive is maxtor 40GB(capable udma5). There is EZ-Drive instaled. Everything went ok, until I tryed enable DMA in windows ME. Then system stoped during booting windows. Where is the problem? windows or Ez-drive or my motherboard or something else?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The problem is the OS. Ez Bios isn't able to cause problems with your OS. All the program is for is to help you see the full capacity of the hard drive. It is taking the the first 8 sectors of the drive or so, which is commonly known as the Master Boot Record. Once you boot the system after the BIOS Post's that is the first thing to initialize.

Try hitting F5 to try and get into safe mode. If you are able to do that it is going to be an OS problem. Once you do that you will want to figure out what the conflict is. In your case I think it would be something to do with the DMA mode being checked just because that is the last thing you changed. Usually you are going to need the latest Bus Mastering Drivers from the Motherboard Mfg. in order for the DMA setting to work properly.

That is just a few things to try. I hope it works .....

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

rasto99

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
So, I have download driver from Via. I have installed it and... system stoped again. I have also old disk 6,4GB Quantum (udma2 capable) and there is no problem. It uses DMA. Maybe win2000 or 98SE can help. I will try :)

G

i once had a mactor

2 actually , 2-20 gig's 7200 rpm
and both died on me
well anyways...

Don't use that EZ bios
it messes your system up

Did for me anyways
just use fdisk
way more efficient

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

You are better off not using EZCrap and just eating the 8 Gigs, re-fdisk, re-format and start from scratch. EZCrap is also hard to get out of the MBR once it is in, look on Maxtor website for a utility that will remove it, just using the fdisk -mbr won't usually do it.

EZCrap is like a tumor in the butt--it hurts and won't go away.