Maxtor can kiss my harry, dirty butt.

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
This company sucks, their tech support is abyssmally ignorant and unqualified, their warranties worthless, and, most importantly, their hardware garbage. I've just spent half an hour on the phone with one idiot after another trying to get a rma# for a failed 80 gig hard drive that my buddie bought just last month (i told him to get an ibm or western digital, but did he listen?). Well needless to say this maxtor hunk of junk failed and he lost sixty gigs of mp3s (kind of funny, lol). Well, after he stopped crying like a little girl about loosing his data, he asked me to get his drive replaced. What a royal pain in the ass. Maxtor obviously doesn't stand behind their hardware, and I now know why, it's complete junk. They tried to convince me that it was windows, and then my motherboard, then my formating utility, but each tech guy I got, one after the other was more ignorant and stupid than the one before. They really know nothing about windows, dos, hardware bios, nothing, not a god damn thing. It was truly amazing. I don't think these fools know how to boot a computer, lol. In the end i won and got the rma#, but holy moly what a battle. I've never had this problem with ibm or western digital.

-- Chaos is the better order.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've been using Maxtor hard drives for a long time and not one has ever failed......

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
My Brand new at the time 13gb ATA33 harddrive crashed in a week. It was replaced and crashed again in a 2 months. Then i week IBM never went back. Im getting my new 60gxp to replace my old 75gxp.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Four SCSI Ultra160 (3.5ms average seek) Seagate Cheetah X15 drives in a RAID 5 using an Adaptec 2100S RAID controller. 55.2GB of storage seen as one large drive with 4 times the bandwidth of a single drive. If one drive fails, you lose nothing. Just pop in a replacement. I really love RAID.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

I had 2 Maxtor 20 gig 7200 rpm drives

both died on me! both

Western Digital for me now

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

G

I once had a Maxtor hard drive come back from the dead. Not kidding, I had it on a Stripe RAID array, took it off of it, while I was formatting Linux Native, it died, I let it sit for 2 months, let the warrenty go bad, hooked it back up just to see, and low and behold, it lived, and back on another different RAID 0 array!

Yes, I'm the BOY who got Win98 to load in under 10 sec... ah....

dhlucke

Polypheme
60 gb of mp3's? That's gotta be a record. I thought my 11 was a lot

<font color=red>They're out there, waiting, watching, listening. Be afraid! The cookies are coming!</font color=red>

G

Maxtor seemed pretty helpful to me, as long as the drives were under warranty. In fact, we had about a dozen old 1.7 GB drives that, using Maxtor's own diagnostic utility, were "bad" (every other diagnostic in my toolkit said they were a-ok). These drives were a few months shy of 3 years old. A quick phone call, and Maxtor replaced ALL of them, the smallest replacements wer 4 GB, the largest 12 GB 7200 RPM. I thought that was pretty cool, myself.

However, my preference is still IBM... I've never had one of those babies fail.

"Arte es vida"

G

i have to agree i havent had one maxtor drive work as fast as a same comfig ibm or western drive and all my max drives have died. around here if you say max people say back up. max is crap. i use only ibm drives now. not one problem since i stopped buying cheap crap and got quality. but dont ever use the disk that come with the drive they only meen more pain in the futer. just toss them. only thing i can see a use for them is older systems that cant read big drives but even them dont do it unless you can take that crap off. i havea hard drive right here its fine but westerns ez bios is on it. and every time i load windows it cant find the boot record. and no its not mine so i dont have the disk. that disk that comes with the hd is only good for a boot disk.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.