Maxtor D740X - too hot ?

G

I just installed my new 60gb Maxtor with Fluid Bearing,Its so sweet ! :) fast and silent.

but what I noticed is that it runs too hot, I cant even keep my finger on it more than 5secs after about 30mins of running time..
What Im wondering is, is this a normal heat or I'll have to do something about my case's cooling ? I admit that my case doesnt have a good cooling circulation,but does that matter in this case ?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
As long as the drive is working fine then work on your cooling and everything should be fine.

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>

G

im having the same problem, however when mine gets hot it stops, then when i reboot it says disk read error. if i turn the computer off for a minute or so then it boots up with no problem, i've only had this drive running for two days, it seems to do this after ive been playing RtCW for a while, my system is heating up more than usual, hightest ive ever seen it get before is 49c now i see 53c, i've got no case fans but i do have two coming that should be here monday, i also upgraded my video card at the same time as the drive went to Gainward Gf3ti500 from vodoo, am running a fresh install of win xp pro. thanks for the help , so do u think its just a cooling issue?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I thought the whole idea of fluid bearing was for cooler, quieter and longevity. Looks like heat
is the problem. Best get the case cooling idea going.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, amdad, are you sure it is a fluid bearing one?
i thought mine was too, but it isnt...and it was not sold to me that way...(me thinking that it was), i thought that there was only one kind, until i got home and looked it up on maxtors site...eh...
mine runs warm, but it doesnt error out...and it doesnt stop spinning...it is fine...
i love this drive....
and it didnt raise my case temps at all..
great drive...
maybe the fluid bearing is all hype??????
oh yeah, and old bear...to correct your hick-ish...
you sentence should go like this...
"Best be gettin that thar case coolin on."heheheheehhehe :smile:
AH-YUK!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Yeah.. it's interesting to know what's the model we're talking about..
There are currently two different D740X models available: 6L0x0Jx with a traditional ball bearing motor, and 6L0x0Lx with a Fluid Dynamic Bearing motor system.
Just my question: does the Operating Temperature for this HDD (yours or his), noted as 5 to 55 degrees C, mean anything whether it is hot or not?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Hey guy, I am an Okie. I have to run all of these messages through
my special Star Trek language Anylizer to even visit with anyone.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
huh?
first off, my drive gets warm, but it is about as warm as my old 10 gig maxtor, which is still up and running...
second off, it is not hot to the touch...
third off...old bear....you're cool and everything...but you lost me on that one...WHAT??????? (see, here is where you might know more about HICK-ish than me...[wink[)

-DAvid

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I have a few of these drives with the fluid bearing in my Lab and I have no problems. Granted I have them sitting on the table outside my case, so that's all the air cooling I would need.

I think that having no cooling in the case at all could be the problem. I haven't heard that with the fluid bearing that they are suppose to run cooler, but they are suppose to run quieter. Another thing I have noticed is that if you pack the drive into a spot where there isn't much room on the top of it or on the bottom, they tend to not disapate heat right. That goes for any drives. Example ::: I have two drives in a RAID 0 in a 3.5 inch bay that will hold five 3.5in dirves. I had them stacked on each other and they seemed to get really hot. I spread them out, and viola, they are fine and dandy!

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
they are supposed to run cooler, because there is even less friction than the regular bearings...
but how much quieter are they?
i mean, my regular bearing d740x is pretty damn quiet!
i mean, when i compare it to my 10 gig 5400 rpm maxtor, it is either the same, or quieter...

and thanks fer eksplanin that fer me Ol' Bear...AH-YUK!
and now i know who to come for to clarify anything about Hickish...hehe

-DAvid

G

Well I got mine a HD cooler, it runs cool now.. but I have another question

When I first got it,I ran virtualdubs benchmark program and got about 17500K/sec writing speed when the drive was hot.. when I try now when the hard drive is cooler, I get around 16000-16500K/sec writing speed... now IM confused.. I think I'll take off the cooler when Im capturing videos hehe

Another question which is also very newbieish
When I first install the hard drive,It was really quiet thast you couldnt hear a tick.. but now it makes noises as a usual hard drive.. its still quiet than others though
I assume this is normal..?

G

umm btw, I ran both tests on the second partition which I havent started to use,

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
are you hearing the hard drive coolers fans???
i dont know about the decrease in performance..
how many times did you run the test?

-DAvid

G

Seems as though I got my problem straightened out,its still a little warm but no more errors and mine is the traditional ball bearing one. cpu temps are staying around 50c under full load now. not sure what that was all about.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
you know, it wasn't a joke.

you can try it at <A HREF="http://www.babylon.com" target="_new">http://www.babylon.com</A>.

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy. :cool: