Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus

Hi,
I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB harddrive which seems to have a
strange problem. The drive is FAT32 formated and worked fine until one
day i saw the error message "unable to write to drive"(the disk was
nearly 50% full) i ran M$ Scandisk and everything was okay but only for
a day :/. It seems that the whole FATable has disappeared because
windows cant open the drive and Paritition Magic says its unformatted.
I ran GetDataBack for FAT and it detects that the drive is FAT32
formated and after doing a data recovery all data which was available
before the crash appears to be on the disk exept the allocation
information. To be honest that happens for a second time with this disk
and i remember that before the previous crash the disk was nearly 50%
full as now and i think that there's some connection between used
capacity and crash. I'm going to run Maxtor' PowerMax tonight and i'll
post the results back here. If somebody thinks that this is a
controller issiue my mobo is Elitegroup P6BAT-A+ flashed with the
latest bios update(5.6) and the drive is properly recognised by the
BIOS. Forgot to mention that the drive warranty is over so no
replacement can be purchased.

p.s. Thanks for any help in advance

chadel@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB harddrive which seems to have a
> strange problem. The drive is FAT32 formated and worked fine until one
> day i saw the error message "unable to write to drive"(the disk was
> nearly 50% full) i ran M$ Scandisk and everything was okay but only for
> a day :/. It seems that the whole FATable has disappeared because
> windows cant open the drive and Paritition Magic says its unformatted.
> I ran GetDataBack for FAT and it detects that the drive is FAT32
> formated and after doing a data recovery all data which was available
> before the crash appears to be on the disk exept the allocation
> information. To be honest that happens for a second time with this disk
> and i remember that before the previous crash the disk was nearly 50%
> full as now and i think that there's some connection between used
> capacity and crash. I'm going to run Maxtor' PowerMax tonight and i'll
> post the results back here. If somebody thinks that this is a
> controller issiue my mobo is Elitegroup P6BAT-A+ flashed with the
> latest bios update(5.6) and the drive is properly recognised by the
> BIOS. Forgot to mention that the drive warranty is over so no
> replacement can be purchased.
>
> p.s. Thanks for any help in advance

You have one of the worst (failure-prone) drives on the market. After
IBM/Hitachi.

Someone should put a stop to Maxtor selling these (and most of their)
drives.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

The disk passed all PowerMax test's successfully.

Bart

chadel@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB harddrive which seems to have a
> strange problem. The drive is FAT32 formated and worked fine until one
> day i saw the error message "unable to write to drive"(the disk was
> nearly 50% full) i ran M$ Scandisk and everything was okay but only for

I think you've reached the technical limitation of FAT32 that doesn't
support volumes larger than 32 or 40Gb, i dont' remember exactly, always
used NTFS since NT 3.x
Try to split in two partitions or convert it to NTFS.

Sorry for my poor English

--
Gianfranco Bartolini
Villa Verucchio (RN) - ITALY

"Bart" wrote:
> I think you've reached the technical limitation of FAT32 that doesn't
> support volumes larger than 32 or 40Gb, i dont' remember exactly,
> always used NTFS since NT 3.x
> Try to split in two partitions or convert it to NTFS.
>
> Sorry for my poor English

Hey Bartolini! This is the Internet. *Everybody* on the Internet
has poor English - even those people who have English as
their mother tongue. Your written English is much better than
average, and I wouldn't have thought you to be a non-native
speaker until you apologized for your English. Only non-native
speakers apologize for their English (for some interesting reason.)

*TimDaniels*

Bart <bart@nospam.wooow.it> wrote in message news:421f464b@x-privat.org...
> chadel@gmail.com wrote:

>> I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB harddrive which seems to have a
>> strange problem. The drive is FAT32 formated and worked fine until one
>> day i saw the error message "unable to write to drive"(the disk was
>> nearly 50% full) i ran M$ Scandisk and everything was okay but only for

> I think you've reached the technical limitation of FAT32 that doesn't support
> volumes larger than 32 or 40Gb, i dont' remember exactly,

That is just plain wrong. While say XP wont create
a FAT32 partition over 32GB, its quite happy to
use one you create outside it, like with say fdisk.

> always used NTFS since NT 3.x
> Try to split in two partitions or convert it to NTFS.

No need, thats not the problem.

cjt

Rod Speed wrote:
> Bart <bart@nospam.wooow.it> wrote in message news:421f464b@x-privat.org...
>
>>chadel@gmail.com wrote:
>

>>>I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB harddrive which seems to have a
>>>strange problem. The drive is FAT32 formated and worked fine until one
>>>day i saw the error message "unable to write to drive"(the disk was
>>>nearly 50% full) i ran M$ Scandisk and everything was okay but only for
>

>>I think you've reached the technical limitation of FAT32 that doesn't support
>>volumes larger than 32 or 40Gb, i dont' remember exactly,
>

> That is just plain wrong. While say XP wont create
> a FAT32 partition over 32GB, its quite happy to
> use one you create outside it, like with say fdisk.
>

>>always used NTFS since NT 3.x
>>Try to split in two partitions or convert it to NTFS.
>

> No need, thats not the problem.

Better still, break away from Windows and forget about such
nonsense.