Maxtor Drive Belly Up!

Greetings:

I have a 6 month old Dell Dimension 8400 with 2 Maxtor 6Y160M0 drives
(160GB) attached to an internal Intel RAID Controller configured as RAID 0
(stripe) that won't boot. I get an "Error Occured(0)" on the first drive
(drive 0). Below is the Intel Config Utility Report:

Intel Application Accelerator RAID Option ROM v4.0.0.6211

RAID Volumes:
ID Name Level Stripe Size
Status Bootable
0 ARRAY RAID0(Stripe) 128kb 298.0GB Normal Yes

Physical Disks:
Port Drive Model Serial # Size
Type/Status(Vol ID)
0 Maxtor 6Y160M0 Serial # 149.0GB Error Occured(0)
2 Maxtor 6Y160M0 Serial # 149.0GB Member Disk(0)

If I try to run the Dell Hard Drive Diagnostics (<CTRL>-<ALT>-<D>, note the
"D" key, not the "Del" key"), it tells me:

Drive 0: Maxtor 6Y160M0 - Fail. Return Code: 7

ALL other drives appear healthy as expected.

If I try to boot into XP Pro (Safe or LKG config), I get a BSOD with
"UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" STOP 0X00000ED, which would be expected at this
point.

What puzzles me is why Status above is Normal and Bootable is Yes. Is this
just the controller reporting back? Dell says they are sending a new drive,
but is there any way to get this drive to come back so I can get the data
off? Partition Magic 8 (boot from CD) sees a drive but reports "Error #48"
and can't repair the drive. Based on all this data, it would appear the
drive interface electronics might be working (diags can see it as a Maxtor
6Y160M0), but maybe drive is not spinning up??? Any software out there that
might help? Maxtor's PowerMax won't see it because its in a RAID config,
but if I remove it from the 8400 and place it in my 8300 (non-RAID system
that I have), I am afraid it might do something to the data integrity on
that striped disk. I know this is a lot to swallow, but I figured I would
present all my data right away, to minimize time and questions.

Do you think "Drive Savers" can do anything here? Anyone one have any
experience with there pricing?

Thanks in advance,

Bret

Previously Bret <bret@nospam.bellsouth.net> wrote:
[...]
> What puzzles me is why Status above is Normal and Bootable is Yes. Is this
> just the controller reporting back?

Looks very much like it.

> Dell says they are sending a new drive, but is there any way to get
> this drive to come back so I can get the data off?

The '0' in RAID0 stands for zero redundancy'. Unless you get the
defective drive to work again, your data is gone.

> Partition Magic 8 (boot from CD) sees a drive but reports "Error #48"
> and can't repair the drive. Based on all this data, it would appear the
> drive interface electronics might be working (diags can see it as a Maxtor
> 6Y160M0), but maybe drive is not spinning up??? Any software out there that
> might help?

If the disk is gone, unlikely. If it just has a high rate of errors,
a knowledgeable person might be able to copy the data off sector by
sector and reconstruct it on a spare disk. A RAID controller may deem
a disk unfit for use for any number of reasons, some of them still
allowing pure-software data recovery that does not require
disk-specific knowledge or tools. It is really impossible to
tell what the problem of the disk is without further diagnostics.

> Maxtor's PowerMax won't see it because its in a RAID config,
> but if I remove it from the 8400 and place it in my 8300 (non-RAID system
> that I have), I am afraid it might do something to the data integrity on
> that striped disk.

Unlikely, if you boot the machine with the PowerMax floppy disk. The
BIOS does not usually write to disks by itself. On the other hand
PowerMax does not tell you a lot. Getting a SMART attribute listing
from the disk would be far more enlightening.

My advice:

Mess as little as possible with the defective drive.
First try to copy the data to a second disk to conserve it.
The drive may still be readable, but usually the symptoms get worse.
For copying I would use 'dd_rescue' from a KNOPPIX CD-only Linux,
since it can copy from sources with errors. For this you need a
spare disk that is at least as large as your defective disk (in
sectors!), a PC with CDROM and a KNOPPIX CD. Procedure is like this:

1. Remove all other disks from the PC.

2. Add the source (defective) and target disks as first and second
disks to the system.

3. Boot from the KNOPPIX CD.

4. Go to a text-console (the GUI does not allow you to become
root ieasily): crtl-alt-F2

5. Check where your sisks are:
fdisk -l
Should list the two HDDs either as /dev/hda and /dev/hdb or as
/dev/sda and /dev/sdb. The second set is SATA vie SCSI driver,
the first is SATA via the ATA driver. Depengind on Linux kernel
version you can see either.
If it is the first, you can also read the full SMART attribute list
with the command
smartctl -a /dev/hda
Unfortunately for the second version SMART is not yet (reliably)
implemented with Linux.

6. Copy:
dd_rescue /dev/hda /dev/hdb
This will copy over the first disk to the second sector by sector.
It will not abort on read errors but list them. There will be
a progress indicator.

7. If the copying finishes withouut error, congratulations, your data
is still there. You can now put the target disk into your RAID array
in place of the defective one. If there are errors you can still
try that, but there might be holes in the target.

If ther are errors you can also try to copy the affected areas again,
by using the '-s <position>' and '-m <amount to be copied>' options
of dd_rescue to try specific parts again.

You can exit from Knoppix by giving it the 'halt' command.

Arno

Thanks for all the info. For the last few hours I have been perusing the
'net for some solutions. I tried hddreg.exe demo version on a floppy disk
and it sees the full RAID as one disk or volume along with the full 300GB+.
It scans sectors and sees errors, but the demo version only corrects the
first encountered bad sector then stops. You can repeat the process,
instructing the program to start with the next sector, but this is labor
intensive as I quickly found out. If I knew it was actually going to fix my
problem, I'd buy the full version, but I would be out $60 if it didn't allow
me to recover the data. If you add up the cost of all the software that is
out there to do this, it could be cheaper to try a recovery service.

Anyway the good news is that on the sector level, the drive appears to be
readable, so it would seem the drive is spinning and the drive interface is
working. Perhaps Knoppix is the solution, and I will try it out when Dell
sends me the replacement drive so that I will have a target of sufficient
size to dump to. Meanwhile, there is a product out there called RAID
Reconstructor that claims it can take a RAID 0 config and move data off of
it onto other media, like a DVD+R or what ever. It has a 30 day trial, then
$99 for full use. Right now I am having some problems with the boot CD
creation process that they recommend with BartPE software. CD gets created
without error, but when I boot with it, it gets to the "BartPE" splash
screen and then freezes. Need to work on it some more.

Thanks,

Bret

Bret:

I might give a word of friendly caution here, the less you mess with
that the better if your data is even remotely important. I suggest a
recovery service, one who does raid in particular. IF the data is less
than critical, then by all means have at it and good luck!!!!

Let me know if I can be of any assistance -

jim_guru@hotmail.com
Media Recovery Engineer

"Jimguru" wrote:
> Bret:
>
> I might give a word of friendly caution here, the less you
> mess with
> that the better if your data is even remotely important. I
> suggest a
> recovery service, one who does raid in particular. IF the
> data is less
> than critical, then by all means have at it and good luck!!!!
>
> Let me know if I can be of any assistance -
>
> jim_guru@hotmail.com
> Media Recovery Engineer

I’m having the same problem with 2 Maxtor Hard Drives in Raid 0 on a
Dell 8400. If anyone has an update to this situation, it would be
great to see! I tried Knoppix and I could not get the drive to mount.
What commands should I try or is there any other software out there
that might help? Thanks in advance.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-Maxtor-Drive-Belly-ftopict55915.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=284917

"Bret" wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I have a 6 month old Dell Dimension 8400 with 2 Maxtor 6Y160M0
> drives
> (160GB) attached to an internal Intel RAID Controller
> configured as RAID 0
> (stripe) that won't boot. I get an "Error Occured(0)" on the
> first drive
> (drive 0). Below is the Intel Config Utility Report:
>
> Intel Application Accelerator RAID Option ROM v4.0.0.6211
>
> RAID Volumes:
> ID Name Level Stripe Size
> Status Bootable
> 0 ARRAY RAID0(Stripe) 128kb 298.0GB Normal
> Yes
>
> Physical Disks:
> Port Drive Model Serial # Size
> Type/Status(Vol ID)
> 0 Maxtor 6Y160M0 Serial # 149.0GB Error
> Occured(0)
> 2 Maxtor 6Y160M0 Serial # 149.0GB Member
> Disk(0)
>

> If I try to run the Dell Hard Drive Diagnostics
> (<CTRL>-<ALT>-<D>, note the
> "D" key, not the "Del" key"), it tells me:
>
> Drive 0: Maxtor 6Y160M0 - Fail. Return Code: 7
>
> ALL other drives appear healthy as expected.
>
> If I try to boot into XP Pro (Safe or LKG config), I get a
> BSOD with
> "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" STOP 0X00000ED, which would be
> expected at this
> point.
>
> What puzzles me is why Status above is Normal and Bootable is
> Yes. Is this
> just the controller reporting back? Dell says they are
> sending a new drive,
> but is there any way to get this drive to come back so I can
> get the data
> off? Partition Magic 8 (boot from CD) sees a drive but
> reports "Error #48"
> and can't repair the drive. Based on all this data, it would
> appear the
> drive interface electronics might be working (diags can see it
> as a Maxtor
> 6Y160M0), but maybe drive is not spinning up??? Any software
> out there that
> might help? Maxtor's PowerMax won't see it because its in a
> RAID config,
> but if I remove it from the 8400 and place it in my 8300
> (non-RAID system
> that I have), I am afraid it might do something to the data
> integrity on
> that striped disk. I know this is a lot to swallow, but I
> figured I would
> present all my data right away, to minimize time and
> questions.
>
> Do you think "Drive Savers" can do anything here? Anyone one
> have any
> experience with there pricing?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bret

I think I’m having the same problem. A Dell 8400 with a Maxtor Drive.

Dell replaced the drive on site, but it is still doing the same thing.

Bret, what was your problem in the end?

Regards,

Frank

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-Maxtor-Drive-Belly-ftopict55915.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=292874

"" wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I have a 6 month old Dell Dimension 8400 with 2 Maxtor 6Y160M0
> drives
> (160GB) attached to an internal Intel RAID Controller
> configured as RAID 0
> (stripe) that won't boot. I get an "Error Occured(0)" on the
> first drive
> (drive 0). Below is the Intel Config Utility Report:
>
> Intel Application Accelerator RAID Option ROM v4.0.0.6211
>
> RAID Volumes:
> ID Name Level Stripe Size
> Status Bootable
> 0 ARRAY RAID0(Stripe) 128kb 298.0GB Normal
> Yes
>
> Physical Disks:
> Port Drive Model Serial # Size
> Type/Status(Vol ID)
> 0 Maxtor 6Y160M0 Serial # 149.0GB Error
> Occured(0)
> 2 Maxtor 6Y160M0 Serial # 149.0GB Member
> Disk(0)
>

> If I try to run the Dell Hard Drive Diagnostics
> (<CTRL>-<ALT>-<D>, note the
> "D" key, not the "Del" key"), it tells me:
>
> Drive 0: Maxtor 6Y160M0 - Fail. Return Code: 7
>
> ALL other drives appear healthy as expected.
>
> If I try to boot into XP Pro (Safe or LKG config), I get a
> BSOD with
> "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" STOP 0X00000ED, which would be
> expected at this
> point.
>
> What puzzles me is why Status above is Normal and Bootable is
> Yes. Is this
> just the controller reporting back? Dell says they are
> sending a new drive,
> but is there any way to get this drive to come back so I can
> get the data
> off? Partition Magic 8 (boot from CD) sees a drive but
> reports "Error #48"
> and can't repair the drive. Based on all this data, it would
> appear the
> drive interface electronics might be working (diags can see it
> as a Maxtor
> 6Y160M0), but maybe drive is not spinning up??? Any software
> out there that
> might help? Maxtor's PowerMax won't see it because its in a
> RAID config,
> but if I remove it from the 8400 and place it in my 8300
> (non-RAID system
> that I have), I am afraid it might do something to the data
> integrity on
> that striped disk. I know this is a lot to swallow, but I
> figured I would
> present all my data right away, to minimize time and
> questions.
>
> Do you think "Drive Savers" can do anything here? Anyone one
> have any
> experience with there pricing?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bret

I have exact the same problem. What to do? Can’t repair Windows XP
while it can’t find my harddrive.

Dimension 8400, two 6Y160M0 in RAID configuration

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-Maxtor-Drive-Belly-ftopict55915.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=305716

Chad

Hi Bret,

I've had a positive experience with Nationwide data recovery in Miami.
Send then your bad drive and a new empty drive and they'll ghost the
data over to the new drive. Since your drive is part of a Raid 0 array,
you might give them a call to see if this makes any difference. The
reason I mention them is because their price is really reasonable --
$100-$500 and zero if data is not recovered.

Oh, and next time have a backup strategy. ;)

Good luck,

Chad
http://free-backup.info

Previously biggietang <UseLinkToEmail@hardwareforumz.com> wrote:
> "Jimguru" wrote:
> > Bret:
> >
> > I might give a word of friendly caution here, the less you
> > mess with
> > that the better if your data is even remotely important. I
> > suggest a
> > recovery service, one who does raid in particular. IF the
> > data is less
> > than critical, then by all means have at it and good luck!!!!
> >
> > Let me know if I can be of any assistance -
> >
> > jim_guru@hotmail.com
> > Media Recovery Engineer

> I’m having the same problem with 2 Maxtor Hard Drives in Raid 0 on a
> Dell 8400. If anyone has an update to this situation, it would be
> great to see! I tried Knoppix and I could not get the drive to mount.
> What commands should I try or is there any other software out there
> that might help? Thanks in advance.

If Knoppix does not sees the disks, then a data-recovery service
is your only hope.

Stop messing with the disks now if you consider that, since
you have a good chance of driving the cost up or even making
recovery impossible.

Arno