[SOLVED] Maxtor manager download for mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdm44

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I have an iMac (24" Early 2008), and a Maxtor OneTouch 4 external backup drive. It is still under Warranty: Expiration is 12-Mar-2014.

Last week I ran avast!'s free anti virus, and it told me there are infected files in archive 1 in Volumes/Maxtor B:U. I don't know how to go about getting at and removing these infected files from the Maxtor OneTouch4. (I disconnected the Maxtor, (Power & USB).

It had been backing up automatically to Time Machine (I think?), but maybe only to the Maxtor? I don't even know how I would transfer all data on the Maxtor to my iMac HD if the need ever arises.

I would like to clear everything and start from scratch, but I don't know how, and I can't find any instructions how to do this. I found an internet page: "How can I erase my OneTouch 4 and start over?" It says I can use the Maxtor Manager to erase the drive, and follow these steps: 1. Open the Maxtor Manager. I CAN'T EVEN FIND THE MAXTOR MANAGER!

When I hooked up the Maxtor (Power & USB), the icon does not appear on the desktop!

I clicked on the (grayed out) Time Machine icon, and it says Time Machine not Configured.

I don't even know if Time Machine depends on the Maxtor backup, or is Time Machine just in my HD in my iMac, on its own?

No doubt you can tell, I'm LOST. :cry:

I need "step by step" help please. Thanks! pdm

Solution
Get rid of Avast, it causes more problems than it solves (specially if you use Time Machine!); Use something more Mac friendly (like Clam XAV).
To clean the existing backup drive (and start again) have you tried reformatting the drive?

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Get rid of Avast, it causes more problems than it solves (specially if you use Time Machine!); Use something more Mac friendly (like Clam XAV).
To clean the existing backup drive (and start again) have you tried reformatting the drive?

Solution

pdm44

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply Joe. I actually did get rid of Avast, and now I'm running the ClamXav.

First I scanned each of the three Sources that appeared on the list individually, (my Home, Documents, and Desktop) and they resulted "clean".

Since the Maxtor B/U and the Macintosh HD were not in the Source List, I thought well maybe they could just be dragged into the Source List, and sure enough, they're in there now. (I don't know if this was the proper way to put them there?)

I started the scan of the Maxtor B/U last night about 7:30 p.m. and left it running all night. This morning @ 10a.m. it's still running, and the progress bar (bottom right) is only about 1/10th filled. Is this normal? (The Maxtor is about 500 GB, same as my HD, but they're no where near capacity!)

At the rate this is going, it'll probably still be scanning a week from now!

By the way, I'm not even thinking of cleaning / starting over the Maxtor. When I went into Time Machine yesterday, it goes back to last September, so that's good enough for me.

Thanks for your help. pdm

Status
Not open for further replies.