Maxtor one touch III problems

doozer1968

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Hello,
I have a 320GB Maxtor one touch III drive which is completly dead! The green light is on when you plug the power supply in on its own but goes off as soon as i plug the drive in. I've tried another power supply which i know works and the same thing happens. Help please? Does anybody know if i can take it apart and get data off?

doozer1968

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks for reply, I've just taken it apart and found a standard HDD inside. Will pop it inside PC tomorrow and hope for the best.

doozer1968

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Yeap! Worked a treat! Wrecked casing like but HDD fine. I'm guessing it was the PCB for the PSU that had fryed! I'm V pleased i still have all my data!

Thanks again!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,
Glad you found the HDD functional. Let us know what kind of HDD Maxtor put in the enclosure.

Any time you have HDD trouble, back up your data completely to another HDD, so if there is a problem in the Maxtor HDD electronics, you won't be out of luck.

Also run a S.M.A.R.T. appl to see if there is a problem with the HDD, like ActiveSmart, or Passmark DiskCheckUp. If there are no alerts in the report, then you know it was the PCB interface.