Maxtor personal 3200 is not working

G

Hi everyone,

I have a maxtor 3200 personal external hard drive. The problem is, ehen i connect it to my computer, it says, the driver was not installed. It smells like its burning and the lamp is not working too.

My little brother used another adapter to use it, he did not know that he was using the wrong one. Since then it smells like burning.

We had tried to use with the correct adapter many times but its not working.

Can somebody please help me?

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
My little brother used another adapter to use it, he did not know that he was using the wrong one. Since then it smells like burning.

That is not good. Sounds like the case circuitry is toasted.

Take the drive out of that case and install it internally, or with another external connection device.

Jack1212

Honorable
May 21, 2013

thanks for your reply.

How can i install it internally or with external connection device? What is external connection device?

If circuit is dead so how can it be repaired? please help me.

thanks

Jack1212

Honorable
May 21, 2013

Thanks alot. I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

yes, i do have a desktop pc. So how can i connect this to my desktop pc? How can i open it? Is there a normal harddisk inside it?

Please help, Thanks!

Jack1212

Honorable
May 21, 2013

Ok, so far so good. I have opened it now, and it looks like normal hard drive. Cool :)

So what next? should i just unplug my current harddisk from inside my desktop pc and plug in this one? Should i then have to install windows on it? and if i do, do i lose all my data, thats what i dont want :(

I am not doing anything crazy now until you tell me what to do, so i am waiting :)

Thanks for your help. I can see there is a hope now to save the data :)

T
hanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Leave your current drive in place.
Connect this one to a different SATA port.

Windows *should* recognize it as just another drive.

Assuming all is actually well, you can copy any needed data off it, or simply leave it in as a secondary drive.

Jack1212

Honorable
May 21, 2013

Thanks again for your help.

But how can i connect this to another port? do you have any pics on this, please?

Thank!

USAFRet

Titan
hmm....you'll need another SATA data cable.

Follow the cable from your current hard drive to the motherboard. Right next to that, there should be a similar looking port with nothing connected to it. 1 cable from that to the back of the new hard drive

Also, from the Power supply, there will almost certainly be some extra power cables. Plug one in that fits. It only goes one way, and you can't plug the wrong one in.

USAFRet

Titan
The white and blue ports at the bottom of this image are the SATA data ports.
Gigabyte_P55A-UD6_Motherboard_SATA6G.jpg

Jack1212

Honorable
May 21, 2013

Thanks, very kind of you.

Ok, i open the cabinet and will follow your instructions. I see if i do have that cable.

Thanks again!

Jack1212

Honorable
May 21, 2013

I dont have this type of port on my motherboard. I am having this type of Harddisk, the old version of harddisk: http://www.satacables.com/html/sata_to_ide_adapter.html

I found this type of cable and its compatible with my motherboard and harddisk.
http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_thumb.php?img=images/RB-363_kenable_ltd.jpg&w=300&h=212

And i do have this port next to which is connected to my current harddisk but the other one goes to Cd drive. Should I unplug it from Cd and plug it in the harddisk?

Thanks for your help!

Jack1212

Honorable
May 21, 2013

Oh dear. do I really have to buy this? isnt there any other way?

With my current harddisk which is inside the computer, the big cable going from motherboard to the harddisk, there is a empty connector between the cable, it has the grey color, and I pluged the harddisk in this grey connector and with a power supply but computer wouldnt start up. :eek:

Could it not be secondary drive or something like that? Or do i have to buy this one you suggest?

Thanks!

AntiSpamSuperman

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Nice!!! I didn't see these before. I just ordered a Vantec kit from Amazon US. This will be helpful because I also have a Maxtor 3200 now DOA after a routine dismount from my Mac OS desktop. Hopefully I will now be able to recover the data from this drive. Drive refuses to spin up anymore. It's not the power supply, that's for sure.