Maxtor: What do i have and where did it come from?

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I originally bought the drive 2 years ago and i thought it was weird then, but now i'm really questioning. I bought a 5.1GB maxtor hard drive (IDE, i dunno RPMs)...or so i thought. This thing is the fastest thing i've ever seen and it is 6.0 GB, not 5.1. So i didn't realize the speed until i benchmarked. Well...using a few benchmark utilities, my drive on average (b/w utilities) transfers at speeds about double any SCSI benchmark that i've found. What the heck is up? My 1 year old 40 GB drive runs at about 1/6th the speed of my 6 Maxtor. I decided to install Win2k on it recently. Where my Win98 takes fooooorever to boot, going from the black screen to desktop, ready to use mode on win 2k takes all of 10 seconds (including logon, and i've only got an 866).

So i'm not complaining...i'm just curious. What do i have?

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Without a model # it's hard to tell. I would get the model and then go to <A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com" target="_new"><font color=blue>Maxtor's Site</font color=blue></A> and look it up there. It should give you all the spec's of the drive there. It's probably going to be either a DMA 33 or DMA 66 drive and there are a lot of model #'s to choose from in the 5GB range.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Double posted me ...

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lars_Coleman on 11/01/01 10:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
And if he bought it 2 years ago how is he suppose to have that? It would just be easier to crack the case, get the model number, and find that information on there website. Wouldn't it?

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>