[SOLVED] May have shorted the EVGA GEFORCE 2080 SUPER

May 20, 2020
Hi, I may have shorted my 2080 SUPER. I'm now getting weird behavior with Windows 10 and some games.

I put a faulty RGB strip into the 12v RGB header on the card... the strip fried and the card immediately shut off.

Did I break my card?
Is it possible I hurt more than my card?
What else do I need to troubleshoot? Mobo, RAM, CPU?

Solution
It looks like a hardware issue. Shocked element. Wrong coloring or artifacts yield a bad memory/memory controller (sits inside the GPU chip). Try running a video memory test application. Ideally MODS/MATS if you have access to it. If it shows the same bad address on multiple banks - controller.
May 20, 2020
If you shorted it, it would more likely have just killed the card, and not give you any weird behavior or anything. But I doubt it would damage anything else. What kind of weird behavior? Try updating/reinstalling graphics drivers, see if that helps.

When I try to select multiple icons on my desktop by clicking and dragging, the background color changes to dark. When let go of my mouse pointer, the background color stays. This happens intermittently. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on my desktop.

View: https://imgur.com/a/QDxWzRg

Thanks, I will do that. It seems that you're not concerned with the fact that I shorted something on the 12v RGB Header?
Well the fact that its this one specific thing acting up shows that it is almost certainly a software issue rather than a hardware issue. If you really damaged your card by shorting something out, chances are the card would just not output anything.

It looks like a hardware issue. Shocked element. Wrong coloring or artifacts yield a bad memory/memory controller (sits inside the GPU chip). Try running a video memory test application. Ideally MODS/MATS if you have access to it. If it shows the same bad address on multiple banks - controller.

Solution
May 20, 2020
Thanks, what do you mean by MODS or MATS? I'll try a memory test .