[SOLVED] May I ask how to enable wifi on Dell XPS 420?

Dec 31, 2020
Hi, I have a Dell XPS 420 desktop and my network adaptor is Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection, I have been using this desktop for more than 10 years and I do not remember if I have replaced my network card or not. So Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit might not be the network card that came with XPS 420. I want to use wifi instead of wired connection, may I ask if my network adaptor has built-in wifi adaptor and if so, may I ask how can I set up on my desktop to use wifi connection instead of wired connection? On the other hand if my network adaptor does not have buit-in wifi adaptor, may I ask if I can just buy any usb wifi adaptor in this case? Many thanks in advance!

Solution
The network adapter in your Dell desktop PC is ethernet only (ie for wired connections).

For WiFi, the easiest way is to buy a USB WiFi adapter. If possible, plug it in to a USB port that's on the front of your PC as this should improve the WiFi performance compared to plugging it in at the back which is very likely close to a wall.

One other tip --- if your router's WiFi is dual-band (ie supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz) be sure to buy a USB WiFi adapter which is also dual-band.
The network adapter in your Dell desktop PC is ethernet only (ie for wired connections).

For WiFi, the easiest way is to buy a USB WiFi adapter. If possible, plug it in to a USB port that's on the front of your PC as this should improve the WiFi performance compared to plugging it in at the back which is very likely close to a wall.

One other tip --- if your router's WiFi is dual-band (ie supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz) be sure to buy a USB WiFi adapter which is also dual-band.

Solution