Question May I just have broke my RTX 2080 ti? (Resistor)

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Hi guys, my first time here so just be pacient if I do something wrong..

I've been offered a strix rtx 2080ti, it was mounted on a water-cooling loop, I took the whole loop out sucessfully, and when I was removing the waterblock from the graphics card one of the screws got stuck in the gpu pcb . I was stupid and tried to take it off while holding it with a clamp, the clamp slipped one time and i ripped off what I think it is a resistor or something (see photos).
The ex-owner lost the original stock gpu cooler screws and im still trying to get ones, my question is: While I wait to get the screws should I still hope it works when I finally install it ?

Please don't roast me about my stupidity.. I was alert about the risks and still decided to try it out, it was a 6k pc that was completely abandoned either way.

Any hope will be wellcome...

photo 1

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to tell even with the pictures.

Might run without it, could just be a pull down resistor.

Without any soldering you could try to glue it back down, maybe even just cover it in nail polish to hold it in place. Just have to make sure it makes contact with the solder pads.

Proper way to fix it is more involved:

First thing would be to test if it is a resistor using a multimeter. If it still registers a reasonable value it is still good (close to a round figure like 200 Ohms or something). Might also be a zero ohm resistor, they occasionally get used.
Might also be a tiny diode.

Get some solder paste and a thermal soldering iron and put it back. I doubt you could do this with a normal soldering iron, though I have been impressed before.

If the component is broken, well, hard to tell what it is without a parts list. That might involve finding one in a similar position, removing it, testing it and ordering some replacements from a electronics parts catalog like Mouser.

"should I still hope it works when I finally install it ? "
Of course.....still hope.

It may or may not work.

My experience with things like this is....if this is the only thing that you did...most likely it will work.

Resistors are used for many purposes in a GPU....some resistors you absolutely must have for the GPU to function....others....not so much.

Reactions: Krotow

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Thanks guys for the fast feedback..

Is there any cheap/easy way to test it before I get my hands on the screws to mount the cooler ?

I guess i will hope for the best and be ready for the worst. It was my fault to even force it anyways..

Thans guys

From photos it look like pull-up resistor for RAM chip. Most likely other RAM chips around have the same resistors which made resistor value guessing a bit easier. Without this resistor GPU maybe will work and maybe not. Try to put cooler on GPU and then power it on and see what will happen. In worst case card will not work. If not, you should guess the resistor value and solder spare resistor back in place. Multimeter, lens and steady hand in help :)

For idea you can search Internet for your GPU card RAM chip datasheet which should contain also reference circuit with resistor values.

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
From photos it look like pull-up resistor for RAM chip. Most likely other RAM chips around have the same resistors which made resistor value guessing a bit easier. Without this resistor GPU maybe will work and maybe not. Try to put cooler on GPU and then power it on and see what will happen. In worst case card will not work. If not, you should guess the resistor value and solder spare resistor back in place. Multimeter, lens and steady hand in help :)

For idea you can search Internet for your GPU card RAM chip datasheet which should contain also reference circuit with resistor values.

I tried to find the resistor type, with no sucess though..

I guess I will just wait until I get the screws so I can try it out.

Thank you everyone once again.

In worst case bring your card to repair service. Unfortunately I don't know electronic repairman capabilities in your area. However GPU resistor replacement in your case is simple task and doable by anyone with SMD soldering skills, proper equipment and access to GPU schematics and board layout diagram, which is more possible for repair serviceman.

I tried to find the resistor type, with no sucess though..

I guess I will just wait until I get the screws so I can try it out.

Thank you everyone once again.
One thing you can do...remove a similar resistor that looks like it has the same function as the missing one (by it's location in the circuit)and measure it....and replace the missing one with this value. Don't try and measure it while it is still connected to the circuit or you can get an erroneous value. ...and you really only have to disconnect one side of the resistor to measure it....but it may be easier to disconnect both.

I will try to spoil you. Multimeters with RC testing functionality and SMD element testers in last years became quite sophisticate and can detect soldered component value quite precise in most cases. Intuition and experience too to know when value is correct and when not (and where it is not worth to measure at all) is still required. Pull-up resistor values these can detect with nearly 100% probability.

I will try to spoil you. Multimeters with RC testing functionality and SMD element testers in last years became quite sophisticate and can detect soldered component value quite precise in most cases. Intuition and experience too to know when value is correct and when not (and where it is not worth to measure at all) is still required. Pull-up resistor values these can detect with nearly 100% probability.
It all depends on the circuit.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Haven't bought a good multimeter in a while (old fluke clone gave after a decade or two), but then again, electronics are too darn small to mess much with. Last tablet I tried to fix ended poorly. Do have access to a thermal soldering station now, but haven't had anything in need of repair in a while.

Portable oscilloscopes are kind of awesome as well. Pretty cheap for the capabilities they come with now.

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
I have no soldering skills whatsoever, i will have to search for the right people to do it...

I'm just being positive that it will work without it, even thinking of buying an aftermarket gpu cooler just to test it..
Asus is being very difficult on helping me with the stock cooler screws.

Mar 10, 2021
Did you email the support department of the manufacturer of the graphics board? High end boards usually come with high end customer service, but sometimes you need to be lucky. You are the owner. Tell them the truth, you noticed a problem, or potential problem, with said resistor, get its exact location/component reference number from a schematic of the board, ask them what can be done. They can point you at repair options or ideas or maybe they'll say, "Send it in, we'll take care of it if you pay s+h and $60 bucks(or some amount)" It'll be worth it right?

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Did you email the support department of the manufacturer of the graphics board? High end boards usually come with high end customer service, but sometimes you need to be lucky. You are the owner. Tell them the truth, you noticed a problem, or potential problem, with said resistor, get its exact location/component reference number from a schematic of the board, ask them what can be done. They can point you at repair options or ideas or maybe they'll say, "Send it in, we'll take care of it if you pay s+h and $60 bucks(or some amount)" It'll be worth it right?

Im already in talks with ASUS to know if they can sell me the stock cooler screws or at least tell me the size of them and till now they are not being very helpful.. What let me guess that with that subject would be even worse.
And let me tell you im owner of 2 of them graphics card... LOL

Also im thinking on getting the kraken g12 and x53 to at least try the graphics card, what's everybody thoughts on this ? Im getting mixed opinions all over..

Everybody says that the VRM's and RAM's are not cooled properly with this, some say they tried for months and the results are fine. I don't know what to think but since i miss all the stock cooler screws, i guess an aftermarket cooling would be ideal for my situation..

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, the Kraken doesn't have a fan around the ram exactly. You could order some loose heatsinks and apply them under the shroud and arrange the fins so the rear fan would get some air flow through them. The rear fan should take care of the VRMs, and you can add heatsinks there as well, though fitting them under there might be a challenge.

Other options would be a full cover water block. EK sells pre-filled GPU block/radiator/pumps.

Though setting up a small loop for a GPU is not that big a deal.

There used to be GPU screw kits on amazon that came with a variety of spring loaded screws. Can't seem to find them now.

When I do water blocks I tend to use the backplate the card came with, so re-use the screws. Many kits will be like that, they are expecting you to have an intact GPU to start with.

When I do water blocks I tend to use the backplate the card came with, so re-use the screws. Many kits will be like that, they are expecting you to have an intact GPU to start with.

This is why someone who purchase prebuilt systems, must demand from seller to give all screws, mounts, frames, cables etc. parts from blocks and cards used in his system together with system. Because later it may become cumbersome and sometimes impossible to update or rebuild this system without having these parts.

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Thanks guys, i guess i could probably just try to get similar screws and carefully mount it.

So many options going through my mind right now...

I feel so bad to have "broken" that tiny thing, i wanna try it out as fast as possible..

Last edited:

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Guys im here just to tell that it still works.. I install it yesterday and played a little counter strike (not much improvement in performance from a 1070 to 2080 ti maybe because of cs being more cpu dependant) and everything seemed fine.. Gonna run some tests today to see if temperatures are good...

Anyways, thanks everyone for the help, hope you guys have a beautiful day.

Reactions: dorsai