[SOLVED] May I switch the CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vox

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Further....if you do this swap, and it 'feels' faster, that will almost certainly be due to having a bare, pristine, brand new OS install.
You're not operating with several years worth of old gunk in the system.
I understand, thanks for your reply. There are mixed answers leaning toward both CPUs for various reasons. Anyway I'll take this result as a very minor change between the two CPUs that -as you told earlier- a change is not really worth the effort.

Vox

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Sheesh, so many hyptothetical. The differences between these CPUs is nothing. The only way you'll know if it matters at all is by testing it all, which makes me side by @USAFRet. Effort is everything.

In the end spent so much time thinking this out and you'll get 0 accurate answer as there is no one here who has both CPUs and has tested them both in your usecase.

My two cents are that you're probably going to notice a tiny performance bump, if there's any bump at all. Don't bring DDR4 into this mix as well.. If so, replace your entire Mobo/CPU/RAM combo for a i5-6600K or better or any Ryzen series.
Jeez, don't be so frustrating, we all know it's a hypothetical question and nobody wants accurate answers, Thats why we use these forums to get opinions from other users for our many hypothetical questions. Would there be any meaning to ask if I could get speed upgrade from an Intel Core i7-9700K compared to my low-end CPU? Zero meaning... Here's a valid forum question to which there is no clear answer.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
we all know it's a hypothetical question and nobody wants accurate answers
hehehe...

I've seen people here with a similar question, and get all wrapped around the axle when an exact percentage increase is not supplied.

"Why can't you just tell me how much?"
'Because...it depends'
"Bah! You guys are useless!!"

any improvement is marginal as you’re just adding a few cycles on clock and splitting time on a physical core, it’s not like the difference is 20-25% ;) the comparison is still ballpark

The linked CPU is a Skylake G4520 which has no Hyper-threading support and only has 2 threads while the Kaby Lake G4560 has 4. The G4520 also has a worse int. GPU and slower memory bandwith. Am I right that these have a lot of impact on multitasking?
Too bad, the Anandtech website doesn't know the G4560.

Reactions: Vox

ASK THE COMMUNITY