May OXM Darkwatch demo WTF?!?

Won't go past the Renderware logo, just hangs there. Don't the OXM people
check the discs before shipping them out? Guess not with this one,
dumbasses.

Skip

luckyvic wrote:
> Won't go past the Renderware logo, just hangs there. Don't the OXM people
> check the discs before shipping them out? Guess not with this one,
> dumbasses.

Unplug your network cable, and set the date to March 1, 2005. The demo
should work then. The renderware logo will stay on for about 10-15
seconds and the demo will load.

wjm

Why does that work??

"Skip" <drjass@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> luckyvic wrote:
>> Won't go past the Renderware logo, just hangs there. Don't the OXM people
>> check the discs before shipping them out? Guess not with this one,
>> dumbasses.
>>

> Unplug your network cable, and set the date to March 1, 2005. The demo
> should work then. The renderware logo will stay on for about 10-15
> seconds and the demo will load.

Skip

There was coding in the demo that stopped the game from running after a
certain date, from what I understand. I assume you have to unplug the
network cable so that LIVE doesn't update your system clock if you have
the LIVE service. This was explained at the OXM magazine website. It
worked for me.

WJM wrote:
> Why does that work??
>

> "Skip" <drjass@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>luckyvic wrote:
>>
>>>Won't go past the Renderware logo, just hangs there. Don't the OXM people
>>>check the discs before shipping them out? Guess not with this one,
>>>dumbasses.
>>>

>>Unplug your network cable, and set the date to March 1, 2005. The demo
>>should work then. The renderware logo will stay on for about 10-15
>>seconds and the demo will load.

jlc

"luckyvic" <vsalvatore@charter.net> wrote in message
> Won't go past the Renderware logo, just hangs there. Don't the OXM people
> check the discs before shipping them out? Guess not with this one,
> dumbasses.

I received an e-mail from OXM a few days before I received this months CD. I
wonder why you didn't get the same message sent to you. Here it is:
Subject: IMPORTANT NOTICE for OFFICIAL XBOX MAGAZINE Subscribers

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:00:00 -0700

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

To users of the Official Xbox Magazine May issue disc regarding the

Darkwatch demo:

If you’re having trouble playing the demo for Darkwatch, we’ve got a quick

solution.

If you’re an Xbox Live subscriber, make sure the network cable is

disconnected from the back of your Xbox.

Go to the main dashboard (without any disc in the tray).

Change the clock on your Xbox’s Settings screen to show March 1, 2005.

Load up the Official Xbox Magazine May disc, and the demo will now work

perfectly.

This problem is caused by a line of code in RenderWare, the engine powering

the Darkwatch demo supplied to us by Sammy Studios. The demo worked

perfectly in our testing, but due to an oversight at the developer, the

demo has an expiration date that causes it not to work, so changing your

system clock fixes the problem.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and can assure you that Sammy Studios

is now working on a brand-new, fully functional demo of Darkwatch.

Rob Smith

Editor-in-Chief

Official Xbox Magazine

Yeah that would have been nice, but I'm not a subscrber. I usually buy it at
Blockbuster around the 20th. OXM could have notified Blockbuster and/or sent
something (maybe a sticker) to go along with the magazine.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "luckyvic" <vsalvatore@charter.net> wrote in message
>> Won't go past the Renderware logo, just hangs there. Don't the OXM people
>> check the discs before shipping them out? Guess not with this one,
>> dumbasses.
>>

> I received an e-mail from OXM a few days before I received this months CD.
> I wonder why you didn't get the same message sent to you. Here it is:
> Subject: IMPORTANT NOTICE for OFFICIAL XBOX MAGAZINE Subscribers
>
> Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:00:00 -0700
>
> IMPORTANT NOTICE:
>
> To users of the Official Xbox Magazine May issue disc regarding the
>
> Darkwatch demo:
>
> If you’re having trouble playing the demo for Darkwatch, we’ve got a quick
>
> solution.
>
> If you’re an Xbox Live subscriber, make sure the network cable is
>
> disconnected from the back of your Xbox.
>
> Go to the main dashboard (without any disc in the tray).
>
> Change the clock on your Xbox’s Settings screen to show March 1, 2005.
>
> Load up the Official Xbox Magazine May disc, and the demo will now work
>
> perfectly.
>
> This problem is caused by a line of code in RenderWare, the engine
> powering
>
> the Darkwatch demo supplied to us by Sammy Studios. The demo worked
>
> perfectly in our testing, but due to an oversight at the developer, the
>
> demo has an expiration date that causes it not to work, so changing your
>
> system clock fixes the problem.
>
> We apologize for the inconvenience, and can assure you that Sammy Studios
>
> is now working on a brand-new, fully functional demo of Darkwatch.
>
> Rob Smith
>
> Editor-in-Chief
>
> Official Xbox Magazine

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

JLC wrote:

> "luckyvic" <vsalvatore@charter.net> wrote in message
> > Won't go past the Renderware logo, just hangs there. Don't the OXM people
> > check the discs before shipping them out? Guess not with this one,
> > dumbasses.
> >

> I received an e-mail from OXM a few days before I received this months CD. I
> wonder why you didn't get the same message sent to you.
snip

They need to have a real email address for you. You should of course
avoid giving them a real email address if at all possible, but if you
make the mistake of letting Xbox Live (who you need to give a real email
address to so they don't just start charging you) know you have a
subscription, OXM will take that email address without your permission
and add it to their rolls.