May the PSU be the issue here?

KasumiONE

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Hi there!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give to me..

My home built pc has been working perfectly for the past 2 years. Today the pc made a windows registry update and shortly after (say 5-10 mins) the pc closed down and would fire up for a split second only - afterwards.

I removed the PSU and used a paper clip to test the PSU and the fan started up, i connected the PSU to my hard drive, disc drive and they both started up without shutting down. When I connected it to my motherboard the lights of the board light up, but when I power on the motherboard it starts for a split second, shuts down and then will not power on at all afterwards unless I leave it for a 30 seconds in which it repeats the same process.

Could this be a bad power supply unit although it did seem to work well when powering disc and hard drive independently. Motherboard has not been moved or bashed around, was brought brand new, Asus deluxe z77.

Also to mention that the heat sink fan spins and cuts out with the rest of the equipment on powering up. There is very little dust in the heat sink fan..

I have also removed the ram and tried to boot the mother board and cpu independently with the same result..

Confused, would be a shame if motherboard was faulty as it was new, undamaged and could not see why there would be a problem from nothing happening to it.

PSU is a corsair CX 430
i7 3770k processor
16gb corsair vengeance ram
Velociraptor harddrive
Samsung disc drive

Thank you as any help and advice is appreciated !

:)

KasumiONE

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Tofulion - the pc will not boot into bios as it cuts out too quickly, even if i put a windows disc in it will cut out too fast.

SR-71 - I thought that if the PSU was supplying power to the hard drive and disc drive then it may not be the PSU or is it still possible a PSU issue, I thought if there was an issue with the PSU then it wouldn't power both of these at all..

KasumiONE

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
okay well I found a possible answer to the problem, for anyone else who has the same issues as me and wants to narrow it down to which hard ware may be faulty..:

"Yes. this does sound like the PS has failed. 12 volts is used to run the fans and the drive motors but 5 volts is needed for the logic circuits, that's what's missing. The appempts to start but fail are due to the PS voltages not being what they should and it shuts itself down. the circuits will hold a little voltage after shut down, thus the need for 30 seconds for the voltages to bleed off and reset the protection circuit."

TofuLion

Admirable
no idea why you would use such a poor unit anyway, you should get a new one regardless if it solves the issue or not. the fact that a windows update and system failure happened so close together leads me to believe that it's not a coincidence. are you running a gpu on this system? even on integrated graphics, some of the drivers may have been messed with.

it does sound like the psu is the issue, but in the mean time while you wait for a new unit, make sure its not a disk drive issue.