Maybe a Bad PSU?

jtnoble321

Honorable
Nov 14, 2015
Hey guys!

Just wondering if anyone may be able to help me with a problem I have been having on my gaming PC since I got back from college.

Ever since I got back, sometimes when playing games (especially if I am playing rocksmith with the real-tone cable, or talking on discord with a blue yeti), my computer will start to freeze and make strange noises, almost like an old video game console (through the speakers, not the computer itself).

Specs:
i5 4460
GTX 1060 6GB
12GB DDR3 768mhz
2TB Seagate HDD
120GB Sandisk SSD
600W EVGA PSU
Asrock H97 Pro 4 Mobo
Asus PCE-N15 NIC

Everything seems to work fine but I am getting the problem with the stuttering. Again, I think it might be a PSU, but I want to see if anyone else knew before I went out and bought a new one.
Connected to the computer are two monitors, a keyboard, a mouse, ps4 controller, speakers, and sometimes a mic or rocksmith cable.
This happens most frequently during games (When talking to friends on rocket league, or playing rocksmith).

I have provided a video of me playing rocksmith showing the problem off, I also have a white asterisk that pops up every time the stutter or noise comes up:
https://youtu.be/PMlRgQQ5VfQ

Thanks again guys!

Solution
All cables, cards, chips, etc. fully connected and firmly in place?

Things can jiggle loose during a move. Intermittent problems are a symptom of a loose connection. Maybe just the sound vibration is enough to cause some wiggle and a brief disconnection.

Delving deeper:

Open Task Manager or Resource Monitor and observe your system for a few minutes without doing anything.

Slide the window to one side but leave open. Play Rocksmith as usual. Watch for some spike or other indication of a resource bottleneck.

Ralston18

Titan
All cables, cards, chips, etc. fully connected and firmly in place?

Things can jiggle loose during a move. Intermittent problems are a symptom of a loose connection. Maybe just the sound vibration is enough to cause some wiggle and a brief disconnection.

Delving deeper:

Open Task Manager or Resource Monitor and observe your system for a few minutes without doing anything.

Slide the window to one side but leave open. Play Rocksmith as usual. Watch for some spike or other indication of a resource bottleneck.

Solution

jtnoble321

Honorable
Nov 14, 2015

I forgot to mention I did try task manager and noticed no spikes when playing. As for cables, they all seem fine, but i reseated all cables and the ram to see if it's that, i'll do some testing today on it.

Ralston18

Titan
Try disconnecting anything extra for awhile or otherwise get to some setup where the strange noises stop.

Likewise close background apps (backups, AV, anything running) to simplify the situation.

Then add things back one at a time until the noises begin again.

Take your time, be methodical, keep notes.

Also, take a look at the power outlets being used and what circuits they may be on.

Reference:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3063590/home-audio/how-to-get-rid-of-hum-and-eliminate-other-noises-from-your-audio-and-video-systems.html

The noises you describe do not really match ground loops per se. However, the following link from within this Forum may be helpful.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3514748/beeping-noise-home-cinema-system.html

The idea, for you, is to see if you can do anything that alters the strange noises... May provide another clue.

jtnoble321

Honorable
Nov 14, 2015

It seemed to be just reseating things and tightening cords that worked. thanks!