Question Maybe a CPU or motherboard issue

Apr 13, 2023
mobo: Strix B450-f Gaming
GPU: Gigabyte 1660 super
Ram: Corsair vengeance RGB pro 2x8 cl16 3200
PSU: Corsair CX550
Hi, I recently purchased a 5800x for my gaming build and replaced my 2600x with it.
My rig was running fine then threw a blue screen error and now it won’t post. Keeps showing white led (VGA) error. Since it did this after replacing my cpu I swapped my 2600x back in and it started up fine. The bios is updated to latest version and CMOS was reset. I don’t know if it’s the CPU or a comparability issue going on. Process of elimination is point

Apr 13, 2023
It ran for about 6 hours perfectly fine, I updated bios from 4902 to 5003 then flash backed to 4801 because it’s still giving VGA light. I’ve swapped the cpus out about 3 times now and every time my 2600x goes in it works fine. I pulled CMOS battery and jumped from positive to negative for about 10 seconds. I’ve been trying to find the common denominator and it seems to be the CPU but I don’t understand how it would throw a VGA error

Apr 13, 2023
How long did it run correctly?

Did you reset the CMOS by jumper while power was unplugged from the wall?

BIOS version is
Version 5003 ?

Check all components if plugged in correctly and tightly. unplug all and replug

I’ve even gone as far as to freshly install drivers for the graphics card. I was even able to run a benchmark on UserBenchmark and was shown that the components were performing above average

The CPU controls the PCIe lanes, so maybe there is a problem with the CPU recognizing the correct settings or anything disturbing it. Might be a defect as well. You might RMA the CPU and check with another CPU, if it´s getting the same issue.

update to 5003 again to be sure it´s not a CMOS reset error after updating. After the update reset the BIOS by jumper

are you 100% sure that you updated with the correct BIOS? How did you update the BIOS?
the
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II is also available (update shouldn´t work cause it´s the false one hopefully)

maybe: replace the cmos battery

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023
The CPU controls the PCIe lanes, so maybe there is a problem with the CPU recognizing the correct settings or anything disturbing it. Might be a defect as well. You might RMA the CPU and check with another CPU, if it´s getting the same issue.

update to 5003 again to be sure it´s not a CMOS reset error after updating. After the update reset the BIOS by jumper

are you 100% sure that you updated with the correct BIOS? How did you update the BIOS?
the
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II is also available (update shouldn´t work cause it´s the false one hopefully)

maybe: replace the cmos battery

I tried that solution and to no avail, I’m going to return the cpu and just upgrade to the 5900x like I should have. Do you think it could be a power issue?