Question Maybe a deeply corrupted BIOS IC (chip)? (fingers crossed, I hope so)

thisguyiknow

Commendable
Oct 30, 2017
I ran into a bit of a mess this morning with my computer most of it self inflicted- Here is the sequence- 1) I didn't like the VESA modes on my NVIDIA gpu so I hex edited the rom to add a 1920x1200 mode, upon reboot there was no video output. No worries, I have multiples of the same GPU and I backed up the original rom so one day I can reflash it back to health. I pop in the replacement GPU and I am greeted with a cmos fail screen and I go into the BIOS to make my settings changes---(The battery must be bad in the motherboard since it seems to lose it's mind after being off of AC power for a very short time) --while in the bios I don't do the obvious first tep which is to load optimized defaults I just change the cpu fan settings by using the fan calibrate mode and get it back to the quiet settings I like--- I save the bios and reboot --------unfortunately it never posts again -- it starts up and the shuts down and starts up and shuts down etc.....the LED gets to code 71 which indicates the south bridge was initialized -- I have shorted the cmos jumper attempting to clear the cmos again -- never works, pulled the battey, left unplugged --- no POST. I have removed all pcie cards, used each stick of RAM one at a time, reseated CPU etc.....it seems so unlikely but is it possible that I really screwed up my BIOS chip itself since messing around with BIOS settings is what immediately preceded the failure? I have ordered a preprogrammed chip because at this point it is the cheapest possibility -- any thoughts?

*I am slightly optimistic having found this youtube video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHlhF9MZW-Y

which is the same error I am receiving and it was fixed by replacing the BIOS chip

Last edited:
Q-Code 71 is the PCH DXE SMM Initialization... DXE is a type of driver for UEFI BIOS and SMM stands for System Management Mode. And SMM has a lot to do with things like fans, reading proper temperatures from the motherboard and waking or sleeping the computer etc...
which doesnt says much
quote from wiki:
Some uses of the System Management Mode are:

• Handle system events like memory or chipset errors
  • Manage system safety functions, such as shutdown on high CPU temperature and turning the fans on and off
  • Security functions, such as flash device lock down require SMM support on some chipsets
  • Deeper sleep power management support on Intel systems
  • Control power management operations, such as managing the voltage regulator modules
  • Emulate motherboard hardware that is unimplemented or buggy
  • Emulate a PS/2 mouse and/or keyboard by converting the messages from USB versions of those peripherals to the messages that would have been generated had PS/2 versions of such hardware been connected (often referred to as USB legacy support)[7]
  • Centralize system configuration, such as on Toshiba and IBM notebook computers
  • Emulate or forward calls to a Trusted Platform Module (TPM)[8]

System Management Mode can also be abused to run high-privileged rootkits, as demonstrated at Black Hat 2008[9] and 2015.[10]
could be just missconfigured bios settings - reset CMOS or replace battery
could be just some connector not properly plugged in
try some basic troubleshoothing

thisguyiknow

Commendable
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the reply -- but as stated in my post, I have already done all the basic troubleshooting

" I have shorted the cmos jumper attempting to clear the cmos again -- never works, pulled the battey, left unplugged --- no POST. I have removed all pcie cards, used each stick of RAM one at a time, reseated CPU etc....."