https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20155294

UserBenchmarks: Game 80%, Desk 72%, Work 69%
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - 97.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 - 83.1%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB - 234.9%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 100.8%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C16 2x8GB - 91.8%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-Z390 M-CF

I see CPU and GPU performing below expectation I don't know why.

Parts are listed as above;other parts:
CPU cooler - Cooler Master ML240 Lite
Cabinet- Gigabyte c200 Glass (using 3 Air Coolers for good airflow in it)
PSU- Gigabyte PB500

Also, CPU is reaching 100% load, any suggestions why is it happening?

Darkbreeze

Titan
Don't listen to any of the garbage about installing a custom BIOS. That crap can hit the road, this isn't BIOSmod and we don't make recommendations like that here. There is almost never a good reason to need to do something like that unless you are running VERY old hardware and are trying to install something much newer that needs a custom BIOS in order to support it.

And as far as GPU BIOS are concerned, if the card didn't come with the ability to overclock, there is a very good reason for it. If the manufacturer felt the card was capable of handling an overclock, rest assured it would have been built into the design. There are a lot of things that CAN be done, that SHOULDN'T be done, especially when it comes to hardware. To each their own though I suppose.

As far as the PSU goes, any GOOD 550w power supply is MORE than enough for any RTX 2060 non-Super model so long as it has at least one 8 pin connector. The fact that it has a 9700k is irrelevant. That's not going to make a substantial difference unless you're overclocking the CPU. If you are, then a 650w unit AT THE MOST might be a good idea unless you have plans to upgrade to a much higher tiered graphics card in the near future.

This, would be plenty for your system, and probably more than you'll need although it will afford you some measure of headroom so that the PSU never has to actually run in the upper 40% of it's capacity.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($87.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $87.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-17 02:09 EDT-0400

Darkbreeze

Titan
First of all, you have a VERY poor quality power supply. I would highly recommend that you take that unit out of your system and throw it directly into the trash. Don't use it in another system. Don't give it away to anybody you like, maybe to somebody you dislike. Seriously.

Secondly, at 97.3% CPU and 91.8% memory, your userbenchmark score is NOT low. It is about where it should be for your configuration if it is not overclocked and is actually fairly decent if you don't have XMP enabled? IS XMP enabled for your memory?

What slots are you memory modules installed in? Starting from the CPU and working towards the edge of the motherboard, 1, 2, 3 4, with four being closest to the edge of the board, which slots are populated?

Have you done a clean install of the graphics card drivers using the DDU? If not, you should do that before doing anything else.

Also, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? BIOS version can seriously affect performance in some cases.

Malikboi_

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
First of all, you have a VERY poor quality power supply. I would highly recommend that you take that unit out of your system and throw it directly into the trash. Don't use it in another system. Don't give it away to anybody you like, maybe to somebody you dislike. Seriously.

Secondly, at 97.3% CPU and 91.8% memory, your userbenchmark score is NOT low. It is about where it should be for your configuration if it is not overclocked and is actually fairly decent if you don't have XMP enabled? IS XMP enabled for your memory?

What slots are you memory modules installed in? Starting from the CPU and working towards the edge of the motherboard, 1, 2, 3 4, with four being closest to the edge of the board, which slots are populated?

Have you done a clean install of the graphics card drivers using the DDU? If not, you should do that before doing anything else.

Also, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? BIOS version can seriously affect performance in some cases.
I don't have any money so I'm better off with this PSU i suppose :(
And the RAM are installed in 1 and 3 slot,XMP is also enabled(RAM running at 3000Mhz after I enabled it).
GPU drivers are well and fine. Recently done a fresh install of Windows so I don't think I need to re install the Gpu drivers.

I don't know about BIOS so I can't tell. How do i check it?

Sep 13, 2019
You're not better off with it and I agree with him. Looking up my database no OEM is shown and cert is pending so IMO you have a time bomb.

My database may need to be updated but showing no OEM is disturbing. Also I found no info whether it's an active device with protection and such. Sounds barebone to me.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Your memory should be installed in the 2nd and 4th slots, not the 1st and 3rd slots. That is the recommended DIMM population guideline for EVERY and ALL dual channel motherboards for as far back as I can remember. Specifically and technically, this is why.

From the electrical engineering point of view, the DRAM dies provide adjustable bus termination and putting the only active DIMM for each channel on each channel's last slot puts them at the end of the bus where those bus terminations will be most effective at mitigating signal reflections, which should give you the likely best chance at trouble-free operation - the 5mm unterminated bus stub from an unpopulated DIMM slot before the bus termination is less disruptive than a 10-15mm stub at the end of the bus from the extra PCB trace distance and connector.
Commonly, the 2nd and 4th slots are the DIMM slots intended by manufacturers for use with two DIMMs in dual channel configurations on dual channel motherboards, universally. There are NO exceptions to this. Slots 1 and 3 can be used, but they are not preferred and if there are no DIMMs installed in the 2nd and 4th DIMM slots, some boards won't even work correctly or in some cases, at all.

You graphics performance MIGHT simply be down to a poor quality power supply. It happens and I see it, every day here.

Since you refuse to accept that any of the multiple things that are wrong with your configuration might be the problem, then I suggest you must know more than the cumulative experience of this forum can provide in which case I say good day to you and good luck. You can't help somebody who thinks none of the things that are wrong are a problem.

Malikboi_

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
Your memory should be installed in the 2nd and 4th slots, not the 1st and 3rd slots. That is the recommended DIMM population guideline for EVERY and ALL dual channel motherboards for as far back as I can remember. Specifically and technically, this is why.

Commonly, the 2nd and 4th slots are the DIMM slots intended by manufacturers for use with two DIMMs in dual channel configurations on dual channel motherboards, universally. There are NO exceptions to this. Slots 1 and 3 can be used, but they are not preferred and if there are no DIMMs installed in the 2nd and 4th DIMM slots, some boards won't even work correctly or in some cases, at all.

You graphics performance MIGHT simply be down to a poor quality power supply. It happens and I see it, every day here.

Since you refuse to accept that any of the multiple things that are wrong with your configuration might be the problem, then I suggest you must know more than the cumulative experience of this forum can provide in which case I say good day to you and good luck. You can't help somebody who thinks none of the things that are wrong are a problem.
oh well I see, I might have to change my PSU then.

I also put the memory in the slots you said.

and I didn't refused anything, where did that attitude come from?
It's only natural if you say do fresh install and I've already done it before posting it here.
I come to this community for doubts and help.
and also,
How to check BIOS version? and how to update it? does it mean flashing bios or what?
I don't know anything about BIOS. Not even a bit. I'm dumb lol

and what about my CPU usage? is it normal for it to be going 100% or something is causing it?
Shall I do an adware check? o_O

You're not better off with it and I agree with him. Looking up my database no OEM is shown and cert is pending so IMO you have a time bomb.

My database may need to be updated but showing no OEM is disturbing. Also I found no info whether it's an active device with protection and such. Sounds barebone to me.
Holy! I'll change my PSU for sure but I think it'll take 2 months for me to change it.
What do you recommend to buy? I live in India btw.

Sep 13, 2019
I get the impression that you're not well versed with computer parts so we understand. Yes, your PSU needs to be replaced with an active PSU to protect your system.

I tried to find out the specs of this PSU and it was vague. Gigabyte does not make PSUs nor does Corsair. They are rebranded from OEM makers. Corsair have several OEM makers in their line up including Seasonic.

Seasonic is OEM and sell their own PSUs. They have an excellent rep so that's all I use.

Is the power line in your area stable? Do you have adverse weather sometimes that cause power outages? An active PSU can keep your system from being fried.

Darkbreeze

Titan
So here's the thing. Your benchmark scores for the graphics card are the worst of all your scores. Everything else is fine, could be higher, but is not low by any means.

And, your graphics performance is definitely a factor in those overall scores, not that I believe userbenchmark to be a very definitive measuring stick anyhow.

When there are graphics card performance issues, a clean install of the graphics drivers is the FIRST thing you should do, every time, no matter whether you JUST installed the most recent version or not ESPECIALLY if you have installed several previous driver versions over the top of each other. Saying "my drivers are well and fine" is simply dismissing the advice that has been offered, so to me, that seems like a good reason to not bother further. If you wish to try and solve your issue rather than assuming you know what ISN'T the problem, then I'd suggest you START there.

Please ignore the fact that the images are all broken currently. You can thank Photobucket/Tinypic for that. I simply don't have time at the moment to fix the broken images but they are not particularly necessary to the process anyhow.

As far as the BIOS goes, we can get to that after you try the clean install.

Malikboi_

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
I get the impression that you're not well versed with computer parts so we understand. Yes, your PSU needs to be replaced with an active PSU to protect your system.

I tried to find out the specs of this PSU and it was vague. Gigabyte does not make PSUs nor does Corsair. They are rebranded from OEM makers. Corsair have several OEM makers in their line up including Seasonic.

Seasonic is OEM and sell their own PSUs. They have an excellent rep so that's all I use.

Is the power line in your area stable? Do you have adverse weather sometimes that cause power outages? An active PSU can keep your system from being fried.
Power Line in my Area is quite stable, like only 1-2 power cuts per 2days.
and there are no power outages. Pretty good on power here.
But, as I said, I can't change PSU so soon because I don't have money right now.
Is it going to harm my PC? like a major harm or even a minor one?

So here's the thing. Your benchmark scores for the graphics card are the worst of all your scores. Everything else is fine, could be higher, but is not low by any means.

And, your graphics performance is definitely a factor in those overall scores, not that I believe userbenchmark to be a very definitive measuring stick anyhow.

When there are graphics card performance issues, a clean install of the graphics drivers is the FIRST thing you should do, every time, no matter whether you JUST installed the most recent version or not ESPECIALLY if you have installed several previous driver versions over the top of each other. Saying "my drivers are well and fine" is simply dismissing the advice that has been offered, so to me, that seems like a good reason to not bother further. If you wish to try and solve your issue rather than assuming you know what ISN'T the problem, then I'd suggest you START there.

Please ignore the fact that the images are all broken currently. You can thank Photobucket/Tinypic for that. I simply don't have time at the moment to fix the broken images but they are not particularly necessary to the process anyhow.

As far as the BIOS goes, we can get to that after you try the clean install.
I've done the fresh install of GPU drivers as you said. I've not yet checked the userbench yet shall I do it?
and I'm sorry if it seemed like that. I didn't mean that :D

are u guys sure it is power supply issue?
i see nothing wrong here

his GPU is low end (10de 12fd) with only 8 pin pci-e connector (170watts in bios, 190watts when u change power target within afterburner) - 83.1% performance in userbench

while when u click on some of the best (userbench results)
like this https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20125575, performance 91.7%
u can see that gpu 1048 868e (also rtx 2060 right?) has 8pin+6pin pci-e connector, which has in bios set 190watts power target, which can be raised to 238watts through afterburner) also +240mhz in ram frequency

so..i do wonder, what has this to do with PSU quality? his GPU has lower power design than nvidia FE (8pin pci-e), so its obvious it will run worst
btw its ITX compatible, which says something

Last edited:

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Power Line in my Area is quite stable, like only 1-2 power cuts per 2days.
and there are no power outages. Pretty good on power here.
But, as I said, I can't change PSU so soon because I don't have money right now.
Is it going to harm my PC? like a major harm or even a minor one?

I've done the fresh install of GPU drivers as you said. I've not yet checked the userbench yet shall I do it?
and I'm sorry if it seemed like that. I didn't mean that :D
just gonna bump in and say,
you can pretty much just google them and you'd see tons of people have problems related to poor quality psu, i havent personally experienced it but i know the horrors.

it would be sad to see your high end system end up in fumes, but im hoping it wouldnt lead to that point.
so yea id also advise you to not really use your pc while that psu is in there. its too risky imo.

for psu you can look into these.

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.95 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Amazon)

obviously the prices would be different there but these can be your options when you shop and just buy the cheapest one out of them all if you fancy.

edit: you can also do 550-650w since itll be enough for your system i think.
you can also read this reply by Darkbreeze in a thread, id suggest you read what it says especially which model of a certain brand to look out for.

Last edited:

Malikboi_

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
What do you mean by power cuts?
power cuts means power just goes off for 2-3 minutes then it's back to normal. Nothing big. I don't know if it would affect that much. :/

are u guys sure it is power supply issue?
i see nothing wrong here

his GPU is low end (10de 12fd) with only 8 pin pci-e connector (170watts in bios, 190watts when u change power target within afterburner) - 83.1% performance in userbench

while when u click on some of the best (userbench results)
like this https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20125575, performance 91.7%
u can see that gpu 1048 868e (also rtx 2060 right?) has 8pin+6pin pci-e connector, which has in bios set 190watts power target, which can be raised to 238watts through afterburner) also +240mhz in ram frequency

so..i do wonder, what has this to do with PSU quality? his GPU has lower power design than nvidia FE (8pin pci-e), so its obvious it will run worst
btw its ITX compatible, which says something
Woah. I didn't knew my GPU was a lower end model of the lineup. It's a GALAX RTX 2060 btw.
There's nothing I could do about my GPU right? I haven't tried overclocking my GPU and neither my CPU(It's automatically running at 4.6Ghz I don't know why)

just gonna bump in and say,
you can pretty much just google them and you'd see tons of people have problems related to poor quality psu, i havent personally experienced it but i know the horrors.

it would be sad to see your high end system end up in fumes, but im hoping it wouldnt lead to that point.
so yea id also advise you to not really use your pc while that psu is in there. its too risky imo.

for psu you can look into these.

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.95 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Amazon)

obviously the prices would be different there but these can be your options when you shop and just buy the cheapest one out of them all if you fancy.

edit: you can also do 550-650w since itll be enough for your system i think.
you can also read this reply by Darkbreeze in a thread, id suggest you read what it says especially which model of a certain brand to look out for.

I heard some people saying that for my system, 750Watts would be an overkill. I'm not sure if they're wrong or right but they're costly though.
What to look for when you're buying a PSU? How do you know it's a good PSU and is compatible with your system?

Also, one guy said that it wouldn't be PSU problem and it's the GPU instead but , What is the problem exactly ? I'm confused.

Woah. I didn't knew my GPU was a lower end model of the lineup. It's a GALAX RTX 2060 btw.
There's nothing I could do about my GPU right? I haven't tried overclocking my GPU and neither my CPU(It's automatically running at 4.6Ghz I don't know why)
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/208802/208802
pcb has 4+2vrm (same as inno 3d), just bios has locked power limits (160watts max), which makes it even worst than inno3d

u could change bios to inno3d, that will give u some small performance bump
bios can be downloaded from https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/207621/207621
flash utility can be downloaded from https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/
also download DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

once downloaded
than type in commandline:
nvflash64 --protectoff
nvflash64 -6 207621.rom

requires administrator rights

then reboot to safe mode, run DDU to uninstall your current drivers
reboot and instal new drivers
then run this command in command line:
"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" -pl 190

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019
Your PSU is a poorly made model and doesn't offer any protection that I know of. Yes it's working but your system's not protected. How do we know that this PSU are giving you the power it claims? It may be your problem.

Your video card draws a lot of wattage. Also your system draws wattage as well so they add up. If the PSU is not up to it you'll have problems.

Malikboi_

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/208802/208802
pcb has 4+2vrm (same as inno 3d), just bios has locked power limits (160watts max), which makes it even worst than inno3d

u could change bios to inno3d, that will give u some small performance bump
bios can be downloaded from https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/207621/207621
flash utility can be downloaded from https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/
also download DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

once downloaded
than type in commandline:
nvflash64 --protectoff
nvflash64 -6 207621.rom

requires administrator rights

then reboot to safe mode, run DDU to uninstall your current drivers
reboot and instal new drivers
then run this command in command line:
I'm quite scared to do this not gonna lie coz I might end up doing what I'm not supposed to do.
Can you explain it more on how to do it?
And, what if i overclock my GPU through MSI afterburner? What type of OC'ing should I do? Will it do any harm? What values should I change and how much I should change?

Your PSU is a poorly made model and doesn't offer any protection that I know of. Yes it's working but your system's not protected. How do we know that this PSU are giving you the power it claims? It may be your problem.

Your video card draws a lot of wattage. Also your system draws wattage as well so they add up. If the PSU is not up to it you'll have problems.
I see. So 500w isn't enough for my current build? Shall I go for a 650watts atleast or buy a 700w or more just to be safe. And obviously I would buy certified PSU now. Maybe I'll open up another thread regarding PSUs hehe.

So, if my PSU is shitty garbage I should avoid OC'ing and things until I get a new PSU right?

Malikboi_

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
Hello,
I have a GALAX RTX 2060 in my system and some told me that it's a lower end of the RTX 2060 series because of the power connectors and 160Watts limit to it's usage.
Is it true? And how can I maximise the performance on it while not having to replace any parts or anything on my system?

Specs:
CPU - i7 9700k
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000Mhz 2x8GB (XMP enabled so it's running at 3000Mhz)
PSU - Gigabyte PB500
Cabinet - Gigabyte C200 Glass
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master ML240 Lite Non-RGB
Motherboard - Gigabyte z390-m (rev 1.0)

I've also done benchmarks on userbench and the GPU was performin below expectations.
Here's the link:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20155294

Sep 13, 2019
Mine was a 520 watt Seasonic Bronze (7 years old!) so it's a good make. When I upped my system to Ryzen 5 2600 and Radeon RX 570 I started having weird problems. These components suddenly drew wattage more than before.

Turned out my PSU wasn't up to it so I replaced it with the Seasonic 750 watt Focus Gold. All is well. Yeah, get a 750w and be safe. Lots of good brands out there but takes a lot of research as to who's the OEM of those brands. Some brands have several OEMs making PSUs for them.

I went where I know the good brand is and that's Seasonic. As an OEM they make their own PSUs. I don't mind spending a few more dollars for an active unit that can protect your system/investment.

There's even better OEM PSUs that are in upper tiers and they're rather expensive but they're for professional systems that runs into thousands of dollars.

For us this is good stuff.

first download following:
bios: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/207621/207621
nvflash: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/
DDU: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

extract nvflash and put bios file in same folder where u put nvflash

click on adress bar and type:
nvflash64 --protectoff
then press enter
and confirm UAC window

display should blink

than type:
nvflash64 -6 207621.rom
then press enter
and confirm UAC window

it will few times asks you to confirm changes

press few times Y on keyboard

once it closes, reboot to safe mode
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

run DDU and uninstall your current GPU drivers
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial
select nvidia and choose "clean and restart"

reboot to normal windows mode

download new GPU drivers
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
change windows driver type to DCH
reboot if it asks

once drivers installed, open file explorer
and write in adress bar:
hit enter

thats all

Last edited:

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
I heard some people saying that for my system, 750Watts would be an overkill. I'm not sure if they're wrong or right but they're costly though.
What to look for when you're buying a PSU? How do you know it's a good PSU and is compatible with your system?

Also, one guy said that it wouldn't be PSU problem and it's the GPU instead but , What is the problem exactly ? I'm confused.

750 tbh isnt overkill its an i7 9700k with a good GPU. id even say 650-750w is your sweet spot.

for buying a psu and how to know its good? ive provided you a link on my previous reply to your thread read it , as a normal consumer we cant really tell which is good or bad, so yea i advise you to read that thread to know or get a general idea which ones are good.

userbenchmark isnt really something id trust for an evaluation, its an rtx 2060 which should perform admirably well, test it in games or synthetic benchmarks not userbenchmark and compare it with what you generally see online it can be a couple of fps off from other people but thats due to custom rtx 2060 or overclocking (i wouldnt even recommend you try this on your current psu) and i believe the reason why your pc might underperform is that your psu isnt doing what its supposed to do.

. but yea long story short google what happens to high end systems when they use crappy psu, if you cant do that ill tell you, things blow up not spectacularly tho. spend a good 100-120usd for a proper psu or waste a 9700k and an rtx 2060.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS