MB/Configuration for video editing

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
After searching and monitoring this newsgroup for a couple of weeks, I've seen some great advice regarding the question, "Which motherboard and processor should I choose?" However, there always seems to be one caveat. “This is the right motherboard for you, as long as you're not doing video editing." What is the answer if you are doing video editing? I realize this is the one area that Intel has consistently excelled at, but is there a preferred motherboard or configuration (single or dual processor) for this task?

To give you some additional information on my system requirements, I use my computer for many business functions. I constantly have Microsoft office, ACT!, PaperPort, Dragon NaturallySpeaking, and WinFax running. However, the real drag on the system is when I'm running Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, or authoring DVDs. Extreme gaming for me is to have FreeCell and solitare open at the same time. In addition to the software load, I have a ton of peripherals hanging off the system. Connecting via USB, I'm running an HP scanner, HP printer, Platronics headset, FlashTrax 80GB portable drive, Canon printer, and occasionally a Canon digital camera. I run an Alps thermal dye printer via the LPT, Nikon films scanner via a SCSI card, and finally, a Sony digital video camera through FireWire.

My current system is an
Asus A7V266-E
XP 1800, 1 GB Crucial
Pinnacle Pro DV500 Video editing card
2 x 120GB Western Digital Caviar (RAID 0)
Plextor DVDR PX-712A

As you can see, this is a work PC, and subsequently, price is not a limiting factor. On a final note, I have no real loyalty to any board maker. I have thrown out two MSI boards due to unreliability and lack of support, but I am open to all other suggestions. I'm sorry for being so long-winded, but I figure it's best to get all information out from the start.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. I look forward to reading them.

JCC

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The P4 has a bit of an edge in video editing, while the A64 has nearly everything else over the P4. That's why people keep telling you that.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is your system does not handle what you do any more (did you increase a work load on it)? How old is it, did you just wanted to upgrade for the 'heck of it', or you have a real need. For the most part for the life of gaming peepel are getting Athlon, for work Pentium (don't ask me why;)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
My system is currently three years old, and my reason for upgrading is threefold.

1. Several of my external devices connect via a USB 2.0. My Asus MB only incorporates 1.1. I have added a USB 2.0 PCI Card, but I run into continual hardware conflicts, especially with the SCSI and Pinnacle card. I would like to change to a board with an integrated USB 2.0 port.

2. Several of the tasks I need to complete tie up the system resources to the point where multitasking is not an option, and I need to just let the processor churn.

3. Finally, my kids need a new computer, and if I give them mine, I get to get a new toy.

JCC

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Gotta love those kids (by "new" you mean better than they have ;?)

Anyway, any upper Gz P4 will satisfy your needs. If there will be no "playing" with it (overklocking and such) get an E version, but C performs just as well and at the same runs cooler, which in your case is a big plus. Recommendation to stay away from "all in one" mobos, since you have most of the ad-ons. The simpler the better. Epox or Abit (Epox in my book is top choice) would be a wize business decision, coz boards from Abit, Asus, MSI made mostly for gaming dudes, who do not mind to tinker with the system if it "aint right". Stay away from mobos with active cooling (Fan on board), that thing squeals after a while.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

TRENDING THREADS