Question MB CPU socket pins

Jun 12, 2019
Hi!
I have a small problem regarding the cpu socket pins from my MB.
Yesterday I was replacing my cpu thermal paste and I had to take it out of the socket to clean the paste that had managed to get on the edges of the cpu from when I had applied the paste before.
The problem is that when I pulled out the cpu from the mb, I first pulled from the bottom of it (where the arrow is) and then up. When I pulled it up, I felt for a fraction of a second that something was keeping it into place. However, I cleaned and then reinstalled it and now everything works normally. I even played GTA V for a couple of hours and the CPU was utilized about 40% during the gameplay session.
Now, should I check if everything is ok with the MB? In other words take out the CPU and check the socket?
My CPU is a 9700k OC to 5GHz.
Thank you!

BeauJet

Commendable
May 20, 2017
It may have just gotten stuck for a second. Don't fret so much, it happens sometimes(maybe the edge of the CPU got stuck)

Anyhow, if everything's working alirght, no crashes or thermals going astray, honestly you shouldn't be worried. If you want, check it, i doubt anything's wrong.

Jun 12, 2019
I hope you are right. Theoretically, there is no way that the pins from the cpu socket would be able to hold it down?
It may have just gotten stuck for a second. Don't fret so much, it happens sometimes(maybe the edge of the CPU got stuck)

Anyhow, if everything's working alirght, no crashes or thermals going astray, honestly you shouldn't be worried. If you want, check it, i doubt anything's wrong.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
The force that the CPU cooler applies onto the chip itself is large.
So when you removed the CPU you have just experienced slight resistance it is the result of it being pressed extremely firmly into its socket and staying there from when it was first built.

If anything was wrong it would have crashed or not booted even long before now.
Running GTA V is a good way to test a CPU 's power and performance as it is has a lot of work to do with the AI.
Your CPU is very poweful so 40% utilisation is normal for this game.

If it was me I would not be worrying about anything based on what you have said but it's always worth checking for peace of mind.

Andy

Jun 12, 2019
Thank you very much for your reply!
As expected, the cpu socket pins are fine. Now, it might have appeared another problem. There is a possibility that under one of my ram slots, there could be a very small piece of rubber. I was trying to get it away from the MB, but because of it being so small, it got under there. I have posted a picture.
Thank you!