[SOLVED] MB/cpu upgrade -> lost display signal on old and new motherboard/cpu

Sep 5, 2020
Hi all.

This my first time in here, do let me know if I missed a guideline!

I've been trying to upgrade my sons system, the old was:

MB1151 Asus H310M-E Prime mATX
Intel Core I3-8100 3.6GHz Quad CPU
DDR4-2400 Corsair 8GB Vengeance
SSD Intel 545s 256GB M.2 (SSD)
Asus Geforce GTX 1050 2GB
PSU Corsair VS550 550W 80+
HDS WD Blue 1TB 3,5" HDD
Wifi Asus PCE-AC55BT AC1200 Wireless
Windows 10 Home

Since this was bought, we put in a Corsair 16GB-2400 RAM block. Oddly, windows still showed 8GB, that is a side-note.

The upgrade attempted is:

MB1200 Asus B460M-K Prime bundkort
Intel Core i5-10400 <4.3GHz 6-Core HT
DDR4-3000 Corsair 16GB Vengeance XMP RAM
CPUK Be Quiet Pure Rock cooler (Slim)

It was rather straight forward to install, the motherboard are physically compatible, and fits in the same tower. I plugged in the cpu myself, the fan had preplaced paste.
The cables were relatively easy to move as well, Only the corsair front panel cable (with blue part in bottom) was so stuck, that I accidentially removed the plastic surrounding the pins as well. Easy to remove again, and put back over the pins.

At first boot, no display signal. The motherboard lighted up, the cabinet fan turned on, the cpu and graphics card fans turned on. HDD spun up. But nothing on the display at all, the 'on' led did not turn on.

I tried removing all non-essential cables for USB, sound, hdd and so on.
I removed the graphics card, and tried the onboard card.
I removed the wifi card. I tried removing the SSD.
All to no avail.

I plugged out RAM, tried to change the order, use just one stick, in different orders. I tried a working RAM of 8GB from another machine. No luck.

I tried a working display.

In the end I gave up for the day, and removed the new MB/CPU and plugged the old in again. But now the old setup had the exact same problem, GPU/onBoard didn't give me any signal!?

Now I don't know HW very well, but this to me suggests the following potential problems:

1) The PSU power specific to graphics is somehow failing. I am not aware if there exist a specific wire for some graphics subsystem!?

2) If the RAM somehow failed, and became a MB killer, this could have transferred the problem to the old MB!? (I see many online posts about RAM causing lost signal)

3) Some other general PSU problem!? A fuse? Something else!?

4) Something not properly grounded somewhere!?

Any questions to clarify my ramblings, or any suggestions as to a course of action would be very appreciated!

Best regards,
Draxticore

Solution
So I had my HW-pusher take a look at it. And he did also use some time to figure it out.
Somehow the reset button had gotten stuck. Go figure. That'll close this thread :)
Sep 5, 2020
I've been thinking if there was some error leds on the MB, as there's not a pc speaker. On the old system, I can see maybe 6 orange leds on the backside of the MB, that are glowing at a relaxed frequency after boot. But I do not see anything that seems to be "q-leds", that I have been reading about.

Sep 5, 2020
So I had my HW-pusher take a look at it. And he did also use some time to figure it out.
Somehow the reset button had gotten stuck. Go figure. That'll close this thread :)

Solution