MB Dilemma (Second Hand)

Kursad

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017
Hello guys, i will buy a 4790 processor. And as a motherboard, i couldnt decide between h81-gamer and z97-k. Z97k is the better choice here but it is 350 unit money (lets call it unit since usd prices are not really stable here). H81-gamer is 200 units. The processor is 850 units. They are all second hand btw. I will not stick with the 4th generation after this set. After 1 year or se, i will get a whole new set (8600k or alike). So what would you suggest?

Here is some examples for you to understand the value of the Unit!

8600k - 2200 unit
Iphone X (256 g) - 9000 unit
My salary as a junior aerospace engineer is 6000 unit

So, is extra 150 unit worth the z board with the 4790 processor (not the unlocked one)

Solution
No. There is pretty much no reason to go with a Z series board if you have a locked processor. What I WOULD recommend, is that you try to find an H97 motherboard, that has just about all the features of the Z series boards except for no overclocking features BUT are generally quite a bit less expensive than the Z series boards.

Also, unless you already have an older Haswell processor or the motherboard bios has been updated, there is a fair chance that any H81 motherboard will not support the Haswell refresh CPU. Any H81 board with a bios version that was released prior to the release of the Haswell refresh processors will not support them. It must be either a newer chipset board like H97 or have an updated bios version.
No. There is pretty much no reason to go with a Z series board if you have a locked processor. What I WOULD recommend, is that you try to find an H97 motherboard, that has just about all the features of the Z series boards except for no overclocking features BUT are generally quite a bit less expensive than the Z series boards.

Also, unless you already have an older Haswell processor or the motherboard bios has been updated, there is a fair chance that any H81 motherboard will not support the Haswell refresh CPU. Any H81 board with a bios version that was released prior to the release of the Haswell refresh processors will not support them. It must be either a newer chipset board like H97 or have an updated bios version.

Solution