[SOLVED] MB for 15 6500 - What is advantage of 1 or 2 or 3 chipsets? (Like B150 Z270 B360)

hobkirk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I am trying to find a used MB that I can use with my i5 6500 CPU. I am very confused.

I think MB's w/ an LGA1151 socket have a model number with a 1, 2, or 3 following a letter.
  1. Does the first number in the MB model number (like MSI Z270M) refer to the chipset?
  2. Does the chipset determine which generation Intel CPU can accommodate?
  3. Is the newer chipset offer a perceptible advantage to the user or is it strictly an engineering issue?
Thanks

Solution
I am trying to find a used MB that I can use with my i5 6500 CPU. I am very confused.

I think MB's w/ an LGA1151 socket have a model number with a 1, 2, or 3 following a letter.
  1. Does the first number in the MB model number (like MSI Z270M) refer to the chipset?
  3. Is the newer chipset offer a perceptible advantage to the user or is it strictly an engineering issue?
Thanks
A 6xxx series CPU is compatible ONLY with 100 and 200 series motherboards. So 300 is out.
So you are down to 100 or 200. The first letter DOES identify the chipset. This article -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-200-series-chipsets,33305.html gives you a...

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks
A 6xxx series CPU is compatible ONLY with 100 and 200 series motherboards. So 300 is out.
So you are down to 100 or 200. The first letter DOES identify the chipset. This article -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-200-series-chipsets,33305.html gives you a comparison of 200 series chipsets. 100 series are similar.

Solution
Yes, Intel chipset names usually have a letter in front of them.
Yes, the chipset determines which CPUs the board can use.
You cannot use any new chipsets with your CPU. Only 100 and 200 series boards. No 300 series boards will work.The different chipsets offer different features. Z170/Z270 are the best and will allow for memory overclocking and if you had a -K CPU you could also overclock it with this chipset.