MB intel s5520sc + dual xeon W5580 boot problem

steve9001

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Hi guys.

I assembled the parts but the system doesn't boot, I can only see black screen - no way to go the BIOS- (PSU starts ON, Hard drive runs, standby led on MB is on, alert leds (cpu and ram) are OFF on the MB)

The 8 leds array on the back seem to report error 4 (it stops there), alias “Early processor initialization where system BSP is selected”

Configuration:
- MB: Intel s5520sc (on the front panel only power button is connected)
- CPU: XEON 2xW5580 (I ‘m trying with only 1 CPU)
- RAM: 1 Gb bank on slotA1 ( tried to change, I tried without)
- 24 pin power is linked
- 2 x 8 pin eps 12v power connector is linked
- only vga connected
-the only connector not linked is the “Auxiliary Power Supply Signal Connector (J9K2)”, alias 5 pins connector for PMBus (is it necessary to boot?).

do I have to buy the intel PSU with 5 pins Auxiliary Power Connector ?
do I have to buy the whole Intel chassis?
Do I have to throw all away?

Please help me I tried everything!

Thank you for any help, I’m new to server boards and dual CPU.
steve

lawrencelaw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Dear Steve,

I failed to install the OS in my dual 5580 set up, it blue screened before the OS was completely installed.

Found out it was due to the RAM (GSkill 1600Mhz) that i was using....strangely i swapped this same ram to my i7 and it worked fine. Now i am using 24G of OCZ XMP (1600Mhz CL8) series and no issues.

After OS was installed, using back the same Gskill also blue screened the setup.

This was my unpleasant experience with the dual 5580, but in this case it was the RAM.

Lawrence

P/s-

I have two dedicated power supplies to support the MB (supermicro), just thought that would be useful input considering you had a query on the auxiliary power connection. Sorry my knowledge is at best also superficial.

steve9001

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
hi lawrencelaw.
thank you for your post.

I will try changing RAM.
However I cannot get the BIOS... I think RAM test is done later in the POST. So I expect that RAM problem will be the following one, after I can get the BIOS screen !!!

Neither the keyboard seems to be working (caps lock doesn't change state).

Thank you also to ghislainG.
I did not asked to intel cause I got MB from german, cpu from US and after i got them it i learned the meaning of ES.
So I expect that they will say to buy intel chassis and return the CPU...

However I can see many people on the web using other chassis (mine in cosmos 1000s, like a few other...) and I don't want to think that chassis can make the difference. but may be I will buy, as I don't know how to resolve.

This night I will update BIOS, BMC, FRUs and so on....
I don't like the poorness of info about this MB....
Next time I will get a TYAN or asus, I expect very less problems.
bye
stefano

lawrencelaw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Dear stefano,

I understand that some ES chips have a higher TDP to boost their performance. Wonder will this be a factor to your problems?

Lawrence

steve9001

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I changed the ram, but problem is unchanged.
Now I will buy the intel chassis (I'm waiting for it).
I will tell you the results....

bye

steve9001

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
hi bipi
I bought intel certified ram
I bought intel chassis
I changed MB
The problem is the same.
I must assume that both cpus are faulty.
an expert told me that are engineer sample; I didn't know. The one who sold them to me did not declare it (he is from kansas, I am from italy). I will never buy so expensive system; every problem is $multiplied by 10, and benefit are *1.2.

Jafang

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010

Hi Steve,
Did you solved the issue you had? I have the same problem and I to did buy the CPU's from a guy in Kansas. just wondering!!! if I start the system except for the fans nothing else comes up.. no beep, no bios and is doing nothing.

here is my System specifications:
Board: S5520SC
Processor: 2 x Xeon W5580
DIMM: 24GB (3 x KVR1333D3D4R9S/8GI 6x4GB))
Video: Nvidia Quadro FX 5800
Chassis:SC5650WS

steve9001

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
hi Jafang
I bought cpus on ebay from poisonr (topeka,kansas -avoid this seller, he is not honest- I must assume, and now he changed his nick, now he is "windowkeys")
My pc is still not running. I have to test them with ASUS mb, I'm still waiting for it.
The system is now running with a xeon E5502, so system is ok. they are cpus that are not ok on this setup.
I hope asus mb will solve the problem, otherwise I want to see poisonr-windowkeys in jail.
I will swim across the ocean to give him kicks in his coconuts.

I will let you know.
If you have news please write...

steve9001

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
hi guys
Asus solved.

So it is official:

Intel Engineer sample CPUs will NOT run on intel motherboards (they doesn't work on a Intel s5520sc).
They will on ASUS.

My cpus are xeon W5580 ES and now they are running on a ASUS Z8PE-D12X motherboard.

That's all.

This adventure made me waste a huge quantity of money.