MB not detecting Wi-Fi card

Daguin

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Hello everyone. I own a Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 rev 2.0 motherboard running an i5 2500k system.
I recently bought a PCI-E x1 Wi-Fi card (TPLink TL-WN881ND), but can't seem to get any life signs from it.
My MoBo has the following PCI slots:
PCIEX1_1
PCIEX16
PCIEX1_2
PCIEX1_3
PCIEX4
PCI1
PCI2
-------------
PCIEX16 has been populated by my GTX 760 Windforce 3x for a long time now. All other slots are not populated. I have tried installing the card on slots PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_3, with no sucess. In neither case did the WiFi card blink it's Status LED, nor did it appear on my devices menu on Windows 10. The only thing that appeared was "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller", which I believe is the onboard LAN controller. Installing TPLink's drivers was unsuccessful, as they failed to recognize the card.
I have not tried the PCIEX1_2 slot yet, because the videocard obstructs it (it's a dual slot card), but perhaps I could move the GTX 760 to the PCIEX4 slot. However, I believe that would impact negatively on video performance.
What should I try next? BIOS update? Turning my computer on and off frantically? Send the WiFi card back to the store? Maybe some kind of BIOS tweak? Shorting slots? I'm honestly lost.
As of now I'm using a USB 2.0 WiFi adapter, but it sucks.
Thank you for your attention.

Daguin

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Also, user Krob from bitcoinforum said the following about a similar issue on a GA-Z97X-UD3H board: "I figured out wtf was going on with the mobo.. if you use all 3 pci-e 16x slots, on the 3rd slot.. if you use it at 4x, it disables all the other 1x slots since it uses the same bus at the 3xpci-e 1x slots via a feature called PCH Auto. so 4 slots share the same bandwidth. So you have to set a feature called PCH from: auto, or 4x to:1x, this turns all 3 x pci-e 1x back on, but also reduces the last 16x slot to a 1x speed., so now you have 4 x pci-e 1x, 3 in pci-e 1x form factor, 1 in pci-e 16x form factor. "
However the only BIOS tweak I can find that is related to "PCH" is something regarding SATA connectors (IDE/RAID(eXtreme Hard Drive)/AHCI), which I believe is not the case.