Question MB / RAM problems, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I have an Intel i9 7900X - 1080 FTW3

I had 2x HyperX FURY Black Series 8 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 CL14 DIMM Memory Module (Skylake Compatible).
I had a TUF X299 Mark 2 - but this was giving me USB Power issues (devices were glitching) it also had issues booting (I suspected this was due to RAM).

I have changed the ram to Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 Enthusiast RGB LED Illuminated Memory Kit - Black
I have changed the MOBO to
ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming II ATX Motherboard with Intel LGA 2066, 12 Power Stages, AIOC, M.2, DDR4, Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), 2.5 Gbps LAN, SATA, USB 3.2
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

The USB issues are gone, great!

However, with my new memory kit, I install the RAM and it only recognizes 16GB, not 32GB. I have installed the kit into A1 + C1 as instructed by the board manual.

I have installed both ram sticks individually and booted up with only 16GB to make sure each stick works. They both work!

I then put one stick into A1 and booted up, all good.

I then removed the A1 and put one stick into C1 - boot hangs (is this my issue, should it still boot with only one stick in C1?)

I have updated BIOS, Reset Bios, Set the XMP Profile to 3200, also tried the XMP profile set off. No joy. Always just 16GB not 32GB.

My suspicion is the board and that C1 slot. But both memory and board were brand new from Amazon (so return won't be an issue) but before I empty the loop and take it all apart (sob) I just wanted to check.

Ram is also listed as compatible with the new board.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Just for the sake of relevance, please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the version for your BIOS that you're currently on. You could've ended up with a faulty ram kit. Might want to take the two sticks of ram and see if they run on a donor system without any hiccups.

What was the motherboard used prior to the Asus X299-E?

Jan 5, 2020
Thanks for the reply...

CPU: Intel Core i9 7900x
Motherboard: ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
Ram: Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200mhz (2x16GB)
SSD/HDD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 Gaming Solid State Drive (SSD), black
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 3
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
Chassis:

I've booted up using the ram. I have tried both sticks individually and the system boots no issues.

When I have a stick in the C1 slot then I seem to get issues. At the moment I have 1x 16GB stick in A1 and im working ok.

If I add the second stick to C1 as it should be then I don't boot. If I remove the A1 stick and put it into C1 and just boot with a stick in C1 then I can not boot. Should I be able to boot solo C1 ? If I should be able to then this tells me its the slot, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.